Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Feedback: System Restore Manager for Windows 7

samcoe is offline New Member

Default Unexpected Change Button Response: Unselected Checkpoints Deleted

Have Windows 7 (64 bit). Installed SRM. Tried to change "Restore Point Time to Live" from Default 90 days by changing only days field. Closed and Returned. Change did not stick. Changed days again and clicked Change button. Surprise: All except currently selected Checkpoints were deleted.
    What is the purpose of the Change Button... and how do I prevent the unwanted eradication of unselected checkpoints?

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by samcoe View Post
    Have Windows 7 (64 bit). Installed SRM. Tried to change "Restore Point Time to Live" from Default 90 days by changing only days field. Closed and Returned. Change did not stick. Changed days again and clicked Change button. Surprise: All except currently selected Checkpoints were deleted.
    What is the purpose of the Change Button... and how do I prevent the unwanted eradication of unselected checkpoints?
    The Change button (does) change the settings you select. I was in a time frame trying to complete it and did not add a save settings to the current version. When you load SRM it displays the default settings I have preprogrammed into the application. If you have made any changes they are changed it just doesn't display it when you run the application again. You can check that all changes are applied by doing the following.

Right Click the My Computer (or Computer) desktop icon, click properties and on the left click System Protection. You can view the disk space for each drive.

Open Regedit and navigate to the following
    to check restore point interval, values are in seconds (43200 for 12 hours, 86,400 for 24 hours......)
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\S ystemRestore\RPGlobalInterval

The Time to Live value is under the following and is listed in seconds as well (7,776,000 for 90 days and so on)
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\S ystemRestore\RPLifeInterval

The Save Settings are being rectified in the next release as well as a couple more options to better manage the Restore Points.

samcoe is offline New Member

Thanks for update...but still no explanation for deletion of all restore points except for the one that happened to be selected when the change button was selected. What is causing that?

Quote Originally Posted by samcoe View Post
    Thanks for update...but still no explanation for deletion of all restore points except for the one that happened to be selected when the change button was selected. What is causing that?
    The only way your Restore Points would have been deleted is if you set the disk space to use to a lower size than your existing Restore Points had room for. Aside from being able to change disk space the changes applied by hitting the change button do not do anything to the Restore Points. The only function that removes Restore Points is the Delete button which only deletes the Restore Point you have selected.

John Kemp is offline New Member

Default Desired new features for this splendid application!

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Thanks to yethz for testing for me, I'll have a updated version working for XP today sometime. So for those running XP, keep an eye, out fixed version is on the way
    Hi-LW - I have just this week done a clean install of XP SP3, replacing a VERY old, tired and congested OS. I decided I wanted to be able to save one or two early restore points indefinitely, to augment (not replace) the other backup options, and to be able to delete restore points individually. I googled "System Restore Manager" - not knowing one existed, and was delighted to encounter this much needed new application, which has ALMOST EVERY FEATURE in its specs I wanted, but I was wondering if:

(1) Is it possible ... to provide an option to rename restore points, please? Especially those sneakily system-produced ones where one is given no opportunity to name them?

(2) ... and to be ALWAYS notified when the system decides to produce one? And

(3) ... and to be given a running notification of how much of the allocated space is taken up, so that one can manage which RPs are protected from deletion, please?

I'm sure you recognise how important and welcome this program will be for the hordes of XP users (and users of the unloved Vista might like it too!)

I'm holding back on installing SR Manager till I've done my first backups. I'm sure you will approve of that as simply good practice - no reflection on your software! I have yet to reinstall much of my software, including Acronis. I have 3 large hard disks: on my second I do a bootable clone, replaced monthly; on my third, a conventional differential backup to the main partition (I hope to reinstall Ubuntu on a second partition on this disk WHEN AND IF I HAVE TIME!); and I'll also be backing up to a large USB drive.

Thanks and very best wishes, John

(1) Is it possible ... to provide an option to rename restore points, please? Especially those sneakily system-produced ones where one is given no opportunity to name them?
    I'll look into it but I don't know that this is possible

(2) ... and to be ALWAYS notified when the system decides to produce one? And
    This is possible but it would have to be done through an application running in the background all the time that monitors the Restore Points

(3) ... and to be given a running notification of how much of the allocated space is taken up, so that one can manage which RPs are protected from deletion, please?

Same as above.This could be done from an application to monitor the file size, I do believe and I'll check into it that System Protection does not display the full space being used. As an example System Protection displays space being used as 1GB on my machine, but if I go check the Folder for System Protection it displays as 1.26GB. So i'll check it and see what I find.

I am also in the process of adding a few other features as well:

Some users have trouble with Windows automatically creating Restore Points at the specified times, as this is a function in Windows 7 that is designed to Only create a Restore Point when it is needed. So I am adding a Windows Service that users can enable to run in background and create Restore Points at given Day/Time

Fixing the issue with the error popping up on load and drives not being displayed.

Adding the feature to display the saved settings as I didn't add it in the current version.

A requested feature from a user to be able to add Date/Time to the Restore Point name when a user creates will be added.

Beyond this I don't know of much else I possibly add to the application and this should be a final version, but if anyone comes up with anything else I'll look into it.

I have seen reviews on the application where users complained about the donate button. I apologize if the button is an inconvenience (I have no idea why). I have decided to add the buttons to all of my applications as a way to help me with the cost I have spent. The software I use to create these applications is not free as is the countless hours/days I spend researching the information i need. I do this because I love helping people and will continue doing so with free applications and if a donate button is a huge problem, there are several Paid applications you could purchase that can do well lets face it, not even a portion of what this application can do.

And with that, Thank You to everyone for the valuable feedback and suggestions

Ron007 is offline New Member

Default Cool Tool

Ran it in Vista Business with no problem, kinda.

First time I ran it under my user class id. It showed no restore points. Mild panic.

On reflection I then re-ran it using RUNAS ADMIN. That worked fine. Actually, it showed more restore points than windows showed! Great.

Could you add a notice to remind people to run it with admin rights? Will lower frustration for newbies.

Could you make the app window resizable. It may come as a surprise but some of us run at more than 640x480 resolution (mild sarcasm). For those of us running higher resolution and with lots of restore points it would be nice to be able to see them all without scrolling.

Also, I see from the discussion you have updated it along the way. Could you please add version numbers as you release it. Say at the top of the "About" text or in the title bar. That way we can manually check to see if we are running the most current version.

You should not have to run it as administrator. When you ran it the first time did you get the UAC prompt to allow to run? I am unfamiliar with Vista Business and not sure if maybe there is something it does differently. As far as versions. The current version is the first version of the application, any of the others you see are different applications. I am currently working on v2. I will look into the issue with listing RP's and check to make sure it's not an issue with the application.

One thing to note, does your username have administrative rights?. To display RP's you must have administrative rights on the computer.

I myself run at 1920x1200 resolution and see the application fine as well as my desktop which runs at twice that. I may add option to resize if I have time as I am always working on several applications at once and sometimes get backed up trying to keep up with current versions to reflect users feedbacks.

Nigel is offline New Member

Hi Lee

I did what you said, but it appears that it did not work - when I wanted to change the properties - such as the time to keep to 45 - I applied and and after it finished - I exited and restarted and discovered that the values were as they originally were.

Could the issue with the software be related to partitions that do not have system restore currently enabled?

Should not the tool also have the options to set the limits for system restore, enable and disable system restore?

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hi Lee

I did what you said, but it appears that it did not work - when I wanted to change the properties - such as the time to keep to 45 - I applied and and after it finished - I exited and restarted and discovered that the values were as they originally were.

Could the issue with the software be related to partitions that do not have system restore currently enabled?

Should not the tool also have the options to set the limits for system restore, enable and disable system restore?

Nigel
    I was trying to finish up the app and did not add a save/load settings function to it. It is changing the settings, just when you reload the app, I didn't code it to reflect the change. It just shows the default values that I coded.
    This is being fixed in an updated version I am currently working on.

When the app loads it checks strictly for restore Points. If none found will display that there are no Restore Points. If you try to create a Restore Point and System Restore is disabled it will notify you and ask you if you would like to turn it on, whereas you can enable it.
    One of those minor things you overlook. I am adding the option to Enabled/Disable System Restore upon loading the application.

Update for everyone: I am currently updating System Restore Manager with a few new features as well as some fixes lfor problems displaying drives in XP and the Save\Load settings. The new version will be finished up this weekend.

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last