Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    windflower is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    When you click the icon I'm assuming it still works. Right-click the icon to see if the correct icon is displayed in the properties.
    I think I may have sort of solved my problem. I downloaded some Office 2010 icons and unzipped them. If I'm given the option to change the icon, I can use these. However, I'm not always given the option to change the icon.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Could you please check your Excel and Word shortcut properties. The target and start in paths should look something like this: (These are 64bit paths)
    Word Target- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE"
    Word Startin- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14"

Excel Target- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE"
    Excel Startin- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14"

Any others should be on a similar theme but I only install Excel and Word.

If those paths are correct can you please delete your thumbcache.db through the disk cleanup and your iconcache if its been regenerated and then restart PC.

It might be as well to run an .ico file association registry fix as well available through the link.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 2nd November 2010 at 04:24.

Could you please check your Excel and Word shortcut properties. The target and start in paths should look something like this: (These are 64bit paths)

If those paths are correct can you please delete your thumbcache.db through the disk cleanup and your iconcache if its been regenerated and then restart PC.
    Thanks for your response.

Once again I am going to show my ignorance.....I wasn't sure how to check the shortcut properties, but what I did was right-click on the icon in the "All Programs" and then click properties. For both Word and Excel, the target is Microsoft Professional Plus 2010. This is grayed out. The start in is blank for both. I'm guessing that this is not good.

Well for someone who's showing their ignorance, you were spot on!

I'm wondering if you have the "live" install of Office. That's the set up where, if you click Start >> (My) Computer, you will have a "mystery disc drive" who's drive letter is Q:. It only installs an Office application as and when you first try to use it.

If you GOTO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14" (64bit), or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 (32bit), right click on WINWORD.EXE and select create shortcut, then do the same with EXCEL.EXE. Rename them.

Then cut or copy those and GOTO "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" or "C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" and paste your new shortcuts in the Office folder where your broken shortcuts are. When you paste them in you should get a warning that "there is already a file/shortcut with that name, do you want to replace?" (Yes).

".....The target is Microsoft Professional Plus 2010....". That should be pointing to an .exe file, but looks more to me like it's pointing to the folder.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 3rd November 2010 at 07:05.

Well for someone who's showing their ignorance, you were spot on!

I'm wondering if you have the "live" install of Office. That's the set up where, if you click Start >> (My) Computer, you will have a "mystery disc drive" who's drive letter is Q:. It only installs an Office application as and when you first try to use it.

If you GOTO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14" (64bit), or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 (32bit), right click on WINWORD.EXE and select create shortcut, then do the same with EXCEL.EXE. Rename them.

Then cut or copy those and GOTO "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" or "C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" and paste your new shortcuts in the Office folder where your broken shortcuts are. When you paste them in you should get a warning that "there is already a file/shortcut with that name, do you want to replace?" (Yes).

".....The target is Microsoft Professional Plus 2010....". That should be pointing to an .exe file, but looks more to me like it's pointing to the folder.
    You must be sick of me by now, but I think I am getting there. There is no Q drive.

I found the .exe for Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook and created shortcuts and renamed them.

When I open my C drive under My Computer, there is no "Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". The only way I get to All Users is to go through Documents and Settings. The only thing in Microsoft is OfficeSoftwareProtectionProgram. Microsoft Office is in the Start Menu/Programs. I get there by C: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

I hope this info will help you to help me. I do thank you for your time and for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by windflower View Post
    You must be sick of me by now, but I think I am getting there. There is no Q drive.
    Not a problem.
    I found the .exe for Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook and created shortcuts and renamed them.
    When I open my C drive under My Computer, there is no "Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". The only way I get to All Users is to go through Documents and Settings. The only thing in Microsoft is OfficeSoftwareProtectionProgram. Microsoft Office is in the Start Menu/Programs. I get there by C: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.
    I hope this info will help you to help me. I do thank you for your time and for your patience.
    You got it right. I got it wrong. I slipped out of XP mode and into Seven mode!
    Documents and Settings is the right path. Are your icons displaying, and working properly now?

It might be as well to run an .ico file association registry fix as well available through the link.
    Hi again. The paths are now correct, but my icons still do not display correctly on the relevant documents. I used the disk cleanup and hopefully it deleted the thumbcache.db. The iconcache was not regenerated.

I feel we are close to solving the problem, but I don't know what to try next.

If I remember rightly, my routine when I had this problem (one program not displaying icons correctly) with XP would be:
    • Check the properties of the shortcut to make sure they were right.
    • Delete the iconcache.db and reboot.
    • Run the problem programs installer to "repair"** or "overwrite" the current install (think upgrade).
    • Finally (drastic!) uninstall and reinstall the problem program.

The link I gave you before was for Win 7 icon association repair . You can find the same for XP over at Doug Knox's page.

** With Office 2010 Pro Plus you can run the installer or go through the Control Panel for a repair option.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 5th November 2010 at 18:06.

If I remember rightly, my routine when I had this problem (one program not displaying icons correctly) with XP would be:
    • Check the properties of the shortcut to make sure they were right.
    • Delete the iconcache.db and reboot.
    • Run the problem programs installer to "repair"** or "overwrite" the current install (think upgrade).
    • Finally (drastic!) uninstall and reinstall the problem program.

The link I gave you before was for Win 7 icon association repair . You can find the same for XP over at Doug Knox's page.

** With Office 2010 Pro Plus you can run the installer or go through the Control Panel for a repair option.
    Slowly but surely (I think)......I used Office Professional Pro and repaired it.

I got this far:
    "Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated.

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter."

I found the "icofile", but all it had in it was Default and ImageOptionFlags plus a folder named DefaultIcon.

Am I supposed to add the following info? If so, how the heck do I do it?

@="icofile"
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    "Content Type"="image/x-icon"

I couldn't find this:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

Am I supposed to add these? If so how do I do that?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile]
    @="Icon"
    "ImageOptionFlags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

As you can tell, I have not done much at all on my own with REGEDIT.

Thanks.
    windflower

OK. You've downloaded the ICO File Association Fix from Doug Knox's page. You've extracted the files from the zip file which will give you a normal folder with the same name as the zip file. You open that and you will see a .reg file that'll look something like this (my own icon, the image isn't important, the name is!):-

Double click on it and you'll get an option window something like this (This is from a Seven PC, although XP has the same jist to it):-

Click on the "Yes" button. You should hopefully see a window like this:-

The registry entries that you were reading:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico]
    @="icofile"
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    "Content Type"="image/x-icon"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile]
    @="Icon"
    "ImageOptionFlags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"
    Have now been imported into your registry. And that, as they say, is all there is to it!!

BUT!! It is good that you opened it up and read the file. It's a good practice to do such things when you add stuff to your system.

With regards your comment a couple of posts back
    I used the disk cleanup and hopefully it deleted the thumbcache.db.
    As I said, I'd slipped into Seven mode. Thumbnails caches in XP have no influence on icon display, just means your images will load a tad slower the first time you open a pictures folder. Sorry.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 7th November 2010 at 04:56.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last