Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Icon Cache Rebuilder - Feedback

While one can always rebuild the icon cache manually in Windows 7 or Vista, our Icon Cache Rebuilder lets you do so in a click!

This app has been developed by our L.W

If you have any questions or wish to give feedback, please do so here.

LucaNonato is offline New Member

The download link wwwDOTthewindowsclubDOTcom/downloads/Icon%20Cache%20Rebuilder.zip does not work. (Sorry, not allowed to post URLs...)

Cheers!

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I just tested and download worked for me. You can also download the application from the following links as well:
    |MG| Icon Cache Rebuilder Download
    Download Icon Cache Rebuilder Free - Rebuild your icon cache with just a click. - Softpedia

LucaNonato is offline New Member

I retried right now and it still doesn't work for me... Also the "Download@Author's Site" from MG leads to a "page not found" error... Anyway, i downloaded it using the MG's mirror...

windflower is offline Beginner

I tried this, but it does not work for Windows XP. Is there an application that might work? I have tried all the manual stuff but have not had success.

Thanks in advance.

windflower

bkr3 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by windflower View Post
    I tried this, but it does not work for Windows XP. Is there an application that might work? I have tried all the manual stuff but have not had success.

Thanks in advance.

windflower
    NB: This was tested with Windows 7 alone and may work on other versions to.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bkr3 View Post
    NB: This was tested with Windows 7 alone and may work on other versions to.... :-)
    I noticed that. I am just wondering if there is a similar application for Windows XP.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

To rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows XP do the following:
    1.Delete the hidden file ShellIconCache (C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db).
    2.Close down all explorer.exe processes using the Task Manager (Or else it will create a faulty file during logoff/restart).
    3.Use the Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to launch the explorer.exe again (Or press CTRL+ALT+DEL to perform a restart/logoff).
    4.When the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) starts again, it will recreate a correct Icon-Cache file.

(Maybe if I ever get enough time to work on it, I'll update the application to work for XP as well)

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Hey L.W., Couldn't this be done with a simple batch file that Windflower could run every now and then?

Sadly, after a year without using XP I've forgotten the cmd prompt syntax (? %Userprofile%, %Appdata% etc.) for XP, though I can write one for my own system using "long hand", I'm still learning 7!!

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    To rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows XP do the following:
    1.Delete the hidden file ShellIconCache (C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db).
    2.Close down all explorer.exe processes using the Task Manager (Or else it will create a faulty file during logoff/restart).
    3.Use the Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to launch the explorer.exe again (Or press CTRL+ALT+DEL to perform a restart/logoff).
    4.When the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) starts again, it will recreate a correct Icon-Cache file.

(Maybe if I ever get enough time to work on it, I'll update the application to work for XP as well)
    Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate it.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly when I close down the explorer.exe processes. I realize that this is a dumb question, but I close down only the process) that specifically says explorer.exe and none of the other .exe processes? I have only one explorer.exe in my Task Manager listing. Should I have more?

windflower

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last