Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By J_B_MVP

Thread: AppCleaner 1.0 Beta - better than CCleaner?

japp is offline Gold Member

Default AppCleaner 1.0 Beta - better than CCleaner?

AppCleaner is UpdateStar's lean and powerful freeware to find and delete obsolete data and files on your computer. It protects your privacy and optimizes computer performance and security. It is small and easy to download, plus it is free of adware. And it's freeware!

It removes files on your computer including temporary files, history, cookies, internet logs and many more. Try it and you will see how easy it is to keep your computer in shape. AppCleaner frees disk space and optimizes your computer's performance. It additionally cleans up the Registry and removes unused and old entries.

Home Page: UpdateStar

I'm curious to if it cleans more garbage than CCleaner does.

Came across this app here: Delete Obsolete Application Data From Your System With AppCleaner

sandyfeet is offline New Member

Default scared

i am really happy with ccleaner i havent had any luck with the others i got free cleaners from ashampoo and it blue screened my new computer... no more

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Even I am inclined to suggest that you stick with known devils

japp is offline Gold Member

If only CCleaner cleaned out all junk, I'd agree with you. Besides CCleaner I'm using Temp File Cleaner and System Ninja.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Taking a look at AppCleaner it certainly is not unalike CCleaner. It has a similar basic layout and removes basically the same file content that CCleaner does. I have to admit that it does have a crisp, clean look to its interface. It should be pointed out, though, that currently AppCleaner is still in Beta which means that there are still likely to be numerous bugs in the system. Unless you are used to 'testing' beta software I would be inclined to pass this one over, at least until the official release is made available, then it might be worth taking another look at.

Flatlands is offline Beginner

Stick with what works for you and don't always reach for the "Fools" Gold Ring. CCleaner here now and always

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

After having an even closer look at AppCleaner it appears that it does exactly the same as CCleaner. There are a couple of option which are different such as Missing CLSID's, Uninstaller and Services from the registry cleaner but the rest of the application is basically the same as CCleaner. I don't use the registry cleaner on CCleaner and I certainly wouldn't be using the registry cleaner on AppCleaner either, particularly when it is making changes to services. Checking for missing CLSID's can also be fraught with problems. As for uninstallers, I am assuming that they are removing those from the registry which, again, could cause problems, especially if the wrong one is removed. No, after further detail investigation my advise is stick with CCleaner.