vasudev is offline Moderator

Default Removing Start Button from Windows 7 using Start Killer

There have been reports that in the soon to be released version of Windows 8 ‘Consumer Preview’, there will not be any Start button. Microsoft has removed it. Unless this ver is released one cant confirm this. And we have to wait & see what’s offered instead at that place.
    Anyway, if you want to just remove Start button from your Windows 7, Vista or XP, there’s a small utility which removes it. Its called Start Killer from Tordex Software. Start Killer removes the Start button from your taskbar providing additional space on taskbar. Start Killer is free to use.

Once you run this tool, the Start button is gone and when you exit it, the Start button reappears.
    Once the Start button is removed, you can open Start Menu from Ctrl+ESC or WinKey. Start Killer places its icon on System Tray, you can exit it from there. There’s an option to remove this icon also from System Tray. In that case you can access its settings from CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F12

Start Killer works on Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 and it supports both 32 and 64 bit systems. You can download it from http://www.tordex.com/startkiller/index.html

(Source: meraTechPort )

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Maybe for the hardcore geeks but I really do not see the sense in this, the start button is what makes Windows what it is, I'd rather click a button then have to remember yet another set of hotkeys, it makes no sense to remove it.
    Personally I think Windows 8 is going to be a disaster anyway, just as Windows ME was to Windows 98 and just as Windows Vista was to Windows XP. Not for nothing guys but I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until the OS AFTER 8.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    Maybe for the hardcore geeks but I really do not see the sense in this, the start button is what makes Windows what it is, I'd rather click a button then have to remember yet another set of hotkeys, it makes no sense to remove it.
    Personally I think Windows 8 is going to be a disaster anyway, just as Windows ME was to Windows 98 and just as Windows Vista was to Windows XP. Not for nothing guys but I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until the OS AFTER 8.
    +1 to that. There seems to be hope though for Win8. I have seen recent build pics from Win8 where the start button reappeared.

Start Menu Orb Hidden In Latest Windows 8 Builds

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If Windows users feel that they will have to unlearn a few times in order to learn Windows 8, yes - I too can see it being in trouble. Personally, I had one hell of a time trying to find the shutdown button in Windows 8 DP! Had to use the power off button the first few times!