Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hackerman1

Thread: ClamWin Free Antivirus: Open Source Security For Windows PC

Tanmay is offline Windows Enthusiast

Wink ClamWin Free Antivirus: Open Source Security For Windows PC

ClamWin Antivirus is a free antivirus solution for Windows PCs. ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for all kinds for Microsoft's OS such as, Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows Vista. ClamWin Free is very great open source antivirus program used by more than 600,000 users worldwide on a daily basis.

This antivirus program comes along with an easy installer and open source code.

Features:

• High detection rates for viruses and spyware.
    • It includes Scanning Scheduler.
    • Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
    • Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer.
    • Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.
    • A portable version that can be used from a USB flash drive.

ClamWin's installer let us choose to integrate the program with Explorer and install the Outlook module, both of which we selected. When we open the Outlook, it will get opened with ClamWin and it showed up on Outlook's Add-In ribbon. Outlook worked normally under ClamWin's protection. The program's main interface is utterly basic but efficient, with a simple tree view for selecting directories to scan. [ Download It From Official Website ]

Note: ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. We need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Hi !

ClamWin is almost useless.
    It has not performed well in any antivirus / antimalware-test that i īve seen.

There are other FREE antimalware-programs available that are much better.
    A few examples: EAM, MSE, Avira, Avast, MBAM......
    EAV-141220 likes this.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

ClamWin was always a go to AV for a free server version. Haven't used it in quite a while, not sure if it is still a good, free, server AV solution.

ClamWin isn't the best, and it can be worse than having nothing (thinking you're fully protected when you're really not), but it isn't the worst. With the other much (MUCH!) better options out there that are free, there really isn't much reason to stick with ClamWin unless they sign your paychecks. Even Hackerman1's favorite (I think he takes bribe money ) EAM is very good. I prefer MSE (I don't take bribe money, unless they offer it!), myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    Hi !

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    Hi !

Clamwin does just fine as an on demand scanner, I have used it many times just to double check with my normal security solution. The only drawback is as Tanmay mentioned above is that it does not have an on access scanner which means you are not protected as you surf, if and when they do add an on access scanner it will be every bit as good as the others. BTW, I would not go as far as listing MSE as a good security solution or "much better" IMO MSE is at the bottom of the barrel of any security solution and I would not recommend it to anyone.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    BTW, I would not go as far as listing MSE as a good security solution or "much better" IMO MSE is at the bottom of the barrel of any security solution and I would not recommend it to anyone.
    Why? It has been tested as one of the best. Not THE best, but one of the best. Very low system resources, pretty transparent (little user interaction needed), and very good at detection and removal.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    Why? It has been tested as one of the best. Not THE best, but one of the best. Very low system resources, pretty transparent (little user interaction needed), and very good at detection and removal.
    First the product does not live up to it's reviews, I've used it and can tell you that unbiasedly, the only places that give MSE good reviews are websites that are Windows or Microsoft related ......... see where I am going with this? One needs to visit other websites where you can get an honest unbiased review on the product.
    Second, I personally used the product itself and I will not begin to tell you the malware, trojans and viruses it does not detect and just lets them on through to your system with no warning whatsoever, that right there tells you that the hueristics of the program is less than desireable, believe me it happened to me while I was using the product. I was infected with an MBR virus while using MSE and did not even know about it until I was dead in the water. Malware? malwarebytes picks up more malware than MSE and trojans go virtually unoticed in MSE.

Understanding it is a free product and a free AV solution is better than none at all, but after using MSE I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by edee; 30th April 2012 at 20:16.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    ClamWin was always a go to AV for a free server version.
    You can use MSE on servers.
    I used MSE on WS2008-R2 before i switched to Forefront.

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

If it does not provide real-time protection it is useless for most.