25th January 2014, 22:24 #1
Windows Downloads, speed, registry checks, etc for Windows XP
I just joined this group and there seem to be a lot of downloads that might be helpful.
I recently had to download & run Kaspersky Rootkit because I got the Rovnix virus in my DOS & Win32.
The Kaspersky seems to have fixed it but my machine is still not as fast as it could be.
It is an older Emachnes T5046 and I just installed 2 more sticks of RAM at 1gig each (which helped).
Is there anything else I can do to speed up my machine even though it's old? I am still running XP.
I go on facebook mainly to play the jigsaw puzzle game, but I still suspect that may be some of the problem.
Thanks in Advance, Greg.
26th January 2014, 04:04 #2
The most general steps I could suggest tp keep your Windows XP machine in good running condition are:
- Go through your Control Panel Add Remove applet and check the installed programs. If you feel you no longer need some, uninstall them.
- Disable or remove unwanted startup programs. You could use the built-in msconfig tool or freeware WinPatrol.
- Run your Disk Cleanup tool every month. You may also use a third-party freeware like CCleaner to clean your junk.
- Make sure you Windows is up-to-date.
- Manually scan your machine using your antivirus software periodically.
This post will give you some additional tips. Just check that they apply to Windows XP: Make Windows Startup, Run, Shutdown Faster You don't need to do all, just the first few are fine.