Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Corrine is offline Gold Member

Arrow Announcing: The Security Garden WinPatrol Challenge!

What is the Security Garden WinPatrol Challenge?

WinVistaClub members are hereby challenged to learn more about and take control over what happens and when it happens on your computer.

I know many WinVistaClub members are already fans of (my favorite) WinPatrol. For those of you who do not have "Scotty, the Windows Watchdog" patrolling your computer, allow me to tell you a bit about WinPatrol.

WinPatrol is a multi-purpose utility designed to increase performance and protect against unwanted changes to your Windows Computer. It was introduced in the days of Windows 95 and is compatible with every Windows Operating System, including Windows 7. WinPatrol is free for personal use and also has a one-time payment licensed PLUS version.

The features listed below are among the reasons I use WinPatrol, described more fully at the WinPatrol Features page:
    • Delay Startup Programs
    • Warn if AutoUpdate Status Changes
    • Track Date/Time Programs are First Detected
    • Prevents Changes to File Type Associations
    • Keylogger Detection
    • Kill Multiple Tasks in One Step
    • Twenty Thousand Program Descriptions
    • Disable Vulnerable Active X Controls
    • Create Hijack Style Log Files

Compliments of BillP Studios and Security Garden, I have a WinPatrol PLUS license (value $29.95 USD) to award to each of five (5) WinVistaClub members.

Who is eligible and how do you enter the Security Garden WinPatrol Challenge?
    1. You must be a regular WinVistaClub member, registered "before today"
    2. You must have a post count of over 10.
    3. You must download and install WinPatrol (unless it is already on your computer) or WinPatrol v16 Beta*.
    4. Post a reply to this thread, identifying it as your WinPatrol Challenge entry, providing
      1. one useful suggestion for improvement for WinPatrol or WinPatrol v16 Beta*
        OR
      2. describing how WinPatrol helped you
        OR
      3. discussing your favorite feature(s) of WinPatrol.
    5. Include in your entry which version of WinPatrol you are using.

*Note: With the usual warning about not using beta software on a production machine, Windows 7 Beta testers may want to test WinPatrol v16 (Beta), which is specifically designed to work with Windows 7.

Download WinPatrol: BillP Studio: WinPatrol Download
    WinPatrol v16 Beta: BillP Studio: WinPatrol v16 Beta

Please note the following:
    • The five winners will be selected by Security Garden (that's me), with input from Bill Pytlovany as/if needed.
    • All decisions will be final.
    • Discussion or questions regarding WinPatrol are welcome and will not detract from consideration of your entry.
    • The WinPatrol Challenge starts on the date and time of posting (UTC-5) and will run for ten (10) days, at which time I will post a notice of the closing of the WinPatrol Challenge.

***Stay tuned for a special announcement following the end of the WinPatrol Challenge***

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

A beta for Windows 7 already out so early! Impressive...

Downloading the v16 beta and giving it a try
    Last edited by alsiladka; 10th February 2009 at 14:40.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

WinPatrol Free, is one of the first utilities I install after a fresh Windows install. It tells me then what every program I install subsequently, is doing to my OS, even telling me about the secret start-up locations.

Not only is it a great teaching tool, Scotty is a dream dog who guards your PC every second, without asking for food or tugging at your pant legs asking you to take him for a walk !

A great contest and a great opportunity to get the WinPatrol PLUS license worth $29.95, FREE ! Thanks Corrine

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Winpatrol entry:

I installed winpatrol about 2 weeks ago and I have been exploring it's features every chance I get since then.

It has a very helpful set of features and it makes things like scheduled tasks, and start up program management very simple. I especially like the cookie manager.

Regarding security, I love the way it "hounds" around your computer for those unscrupulous techniques hateful people use to take control of and destroy your system.

I was very impressed with the reaction time to a suggestion that a UAC change notifier be added to the program. This shows a dedication to customer service and security in general.
    Last edited by roraniel; 10th February 2009 at 16:42.

leofelix is offline Member

Thumbs up

I've been using Winpatrol free for years, which is one of my favourite multipurpose software, more than a task manager, more than a common antispyware.
    I reccomend Winpatrol to my friends and collegaues 'cause it's easy to use, available in several languages (in italian too, even though I prefer to use it in english) and is able to allow you to get control over your O.S.
    And Winpatrol is one of the most easy HIPS (Host based intrusion prevention system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusi...vention_system

I use V 15.9. 2008

Thank you Corrine and WVC for this great contest
    Last edited by leofelix; 11th February 2009 at 08:59. Reason: I forgot

seti is offline Member

WoW Corrine This is my entry

Right you know I am a very big fan of Scotty and I have been for a very long time. Currently have version 15.9 which supports Vista 64. It is easy to download, does not come with any hidden extras, just the programme, is very simple to install and has a very small foot-print. Once installed you don't have to do anything it does it all for you. Right click on scotty and you get a menu which then shows you options and all sorts of things. Personally I just let scotty get on with his job guarding my system and sometimes my stupidity against the nasties! Every change he monitors and let barks his warning and asks you if you want to allow the change...nothing seems to escape his attention. Sometimes you wonder why he's barking but when you read you understand. Would I be without him, never, never, never. I can honestly say that this is probably the easiest and simpliest security programme for any level of experience. Would I love to win the plus version, you bet I would. So thanks Corrine, that would sit nicely along side Billy (autorun eater)
    Last edited by seti; 10th February 2009 at 18:58. Reason: for entry qualification

fritz35956 is offline New Member

I have been a Plus user for years, this is a great product that allows you to manage your system with out getting in the way of productivity.
    Cliff

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Wow, this is going to be a tough one. I may need to resort to a random number drawing.

@fritz35956 -- even though you are already a Plus subscriber, you can still enter the Challenge and, if selected, gift the Plus account to a family member or friend.

lbdyck is offline New Member

Downloading now - sounds like a cool tool

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

I must be honest here. When i first installed it, the first glance at the UI and the layout was not very pleasing. It looked like another "StartUp Entries / ActiveX / BHOs" tweaker.
    But Andy asked me to use it over the next few days and then form a judgement. And ain't i glad I did that! What a wonderful and helpful piece of software.

Getting straight to the feature suggestion, i have a suggestion which would turn this into an even formidable and a must have app.
    As of now, we have to go to each tab to check the latest activity for that group. But can we have a Single feed or a live feed tab, where all the events are logged together, irrespective of their catagory, according to the time of happening? So that i can see what all changes took place in the system right after I installed software X, as all i need to do is look at that portion of the Main log which is right after the time i installed software X.

Hope i was able to explain my suggestion.
    And yeah, i am using v16 on Windows 7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last