Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    James is offline Microsoft MVP

Exclamation WindowsTalk/WinVistaClub Backup Contest!

WindowsTalk Blog in conjunction with WinVistaClub is pleased to announce a great new contest, the prizes being two (2) copies of Storagecraft's ShadowProtect Desktop Edition disk imaging software! A retail value of US$79.95!

ShadowProtect Desktop Edition is professional-class disk imaging software brought to you by the same folks responsible for PowerQuest's Drive Image, still fondly remembered by PC old-timers like me. (PQ was 'acquired' by Symantec in 2003)

How to enter: simply make a post describing your current backup strategy or your worst 'backup nightmare' a time when you lost data and no backups were to be had. Please post your entry in this thread.

There will be one winner for each scenario, chosen at random.

The contest will start March 10, 2009 and run for two weeks, until March 23rd. At that time,this thread will be locked at approximately 9:00pm Atlantic Standard Time (GMT -3:00).
    The World Clock - Time Zones

Storagecraft has kindly created a page for us where you can learn more about the product and download a 30-day free trial of ShadowProtect. You can access it here.

See my blog post as well for more on Storagecraft and backups:
    WindowsTalk Blog: What is Your Backup Strategy?
    Last edited by leofelix; 24th November 2009 at 12:23. Reason: Expired

seti is offline Member

Thanks james fro making these adjustments to this comp

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

I ll post my back up strategy by this weekend...

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Backup Nightmare:

Back in 1995 I had a total loss, hard drive crash on my giant HP Desktop running the latest and greatest Windows 95. I was a computer novice and never gave a second thought to backups.

After this devastating event I bought a tape drive and started my first backup routine. It took 8 hours just to backup my documents using the "Upgrade" to the backup utility included with Windows. I scheduled weekly backups and rotated three tapes so I had three weeks of backups at all times.

Backup Routine:

Today I am running Windows 7 and use Acronis True Image backup. I run a nightly backup of my documents and a weekly image of my entire system. I run them to a networked drive and copy that data to a non-networked drive once a week. I keep the non-networked drive in a fireproof safe along with all my ill gotten millions in cash (joke about the cash but not the safe).

I am an electronic document junkie. My entire life is on my system. A total loss now would be on par with having my identity stolen and all accounts cleaned out by bad guys. I also keep nothing I could not afford to loose on my laptop after my daughter had her laptop stolen at an airport in Amsterdam.

I also try (as good as one can) to make my stuff safe from hackers. You may have read my post when I first joined WVC about my security setup, and I have improved it since then based on what I have learned here.

So this is my story and I am sticking to it.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I should also add that it is OK to post an entry in each category, as roraniel did above. Double your chances of winning, but you cannot win both licenses, of course!

leofelix is offline Member

Thank you very much James for this new great chance.

I'll tell my friend who couldn't win anything yet

By the way: yesterday morning my new external hard disk burned out.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Preface
    I really had no nightmare experience yet. Only once I had to reinstall my system because I had been playing around with my password to the point, that I locked myself out of the system. I do, however, consider that a useful experience, because it gave me a chance to change a lot in my setup.

Environment

I take care of 4 systems. My HP desktop and the wife’s Gateway laptop in our winter home in Florida. Then my Dell desktop and the wife’s HP laptop in our German summer home. The backup strategies are slightly different for each system – partly because I wanted to try out different strategies and also because of some of the givens.

1. My HP desktop

My main vehicle for backup is Norton Ghost. I take a Ghost image to an external disk on each Sunday night. I started out with a 250GB disk, but now I have upgraded to a 640GB disk. My images right now run at over 60GB for a root image and up to 46GB for a differential image. So lots of space is needed if I want to keep a reasonable history.
    I do not backup my data separately. Here I rely on the Ghost images from where I can retrieve files and folders and if I need to get a file back that is younger than last Sunday, I use Shadow Explorer to get it from shadowstorage that I have fully enabled. For more information on that you can refer to my tutorial here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/wi...-explorer.html

2. The wife’s Gateway laptop

The setup here is very simple. She uses only AOL mail and AOL as web browser, plus Ebay and Word 2007. A reinstallation would be extremely simple. Most of the files that she treasures she keeps on an SD card (makes it easy to move between locations). So all she does is a weekly backup of her documents to a Maxtor One Touch disk with the Maxtor Manager. All it takes it to touch the button on the disk plus one click. This program also provides imaging functions, but we figured that it was not worth it.

3. My Dell desktop

The approach for this system is similar as for my HP desktop using Norton Ghost, except here I have a second internal disk to where I write my images. That is a lot faster than to an USB attached disk. Additionally – once per month – I write an image to an external USB powered disk that I disconnect after imaging and keep in a safe place. The logic for that is to make sure that I can still operate, even if my imaging disk gets attacked by malware (e.g. the MFT destroyed).

4. The wife’s HP laptop

This system is run like my HP desktop. Norton Ghost is used each Sunday plus an occasional excursion into shadowstorage to recover a lost file (that happens at times – or maybe it’s only because women sometimes change their mind - LOL). She still uses her SD cards for important files, but then there is also some stuff on that system that I sometimes put on. So a slightly different situation to the Gateway that I never touch – except when there is trouble.

Conclusion

The above strategies have worked pretty well up to now. I have done recoveries with Norton Ghost several times – but not because of malware or a system crash. There were reasons like once I could not uninstall a program, etc. In those cases, however, I have to always backup my data first because I might have made changes since last Sunday.
    If you are interested, there is more information on Ghosting/Imaging in this thread that I started on another Forum:
    Ghosting approaches - summary because of popular demand How-To Geek Forums
    Last edited by whs; 11th March 2009 at 03:03.

bstelling is offline Beginner

i just lost my back up. i have a seperate drive that i use for storage and i formated it by mistake a couple of days ago. over 200 gig gone. oh well....at least the important stuff was backed up to disk as well. still, i lost a lot of updates and things like that.

Johnny is offline New Member

I don't have bad experience wit back ups.i had a complete pc back up of my laptop that's running vista ultimate and it really helped me.my mouse was not working and my pc had some rootkits it was a nightmare fortunately i run my back up and i fixed every problem.
    Thank God back up programs were invented!

seti is offline Member

I was thinking I've never done a back up on my own pc. I just stick everything important that I've made changes to on a memory stick, or have it skydrive so it is not lost. Is that naughty of me I do remember my first back up at work used to take 20 floppys to do each each week, and each quater a fellow came with what looked like film reels to change

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last