27th February 2009, 05:56 #1
Customize the 'New Tab' page in Internet Explorer 8
Note: This guide also works with Internet Explorer 7. Windows XP and Windows 7 have not been tested, though they should work.
By default whenever a new tab is opened, the following is displayed:
DOWNLOAD GUIDE : Click here for a graphical PDF/XPS guide of the below.
Customizing this page is very simple. There are several different ways this page can be customized:
• Custom page
In this tutorial we will be customizing the page and changing it first to the WinVistaClub homepage.
Note: This tutorial is intended for experts only as it involves modifying the registry.
Novice users look at the end.
1. Open the site in your browser.
2. Copy the website address EXACTLY from the address bar.
3. Type ‘regedit’ in the Start Menu Search and open the Registry Editor
4. Naviagate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\AboutURLs in the left hand panel.
5. In the right hand panel, double-click on ‘Tabs’
6. In this window, paste the address we had copied earlier.
7. Click ‘OK’ and close the registry editor.
8. Now, open a new tab in Internet Explorer. Voila! (Note that it still displays ‘about:tabs’ in the address bar, but otherwise it is a fully functional webpage.)
Now, setting a HTML document as your ‘New Tab’ page.
1. Follow all the above steps, except in Step 1, open your HTML page.
2. Copy the address to the window in Step 6.
3. There! We have set this document as my HTML page.
Novice Users: This part is for you.
1. Download the Customize Customize New Tab.zip from here.
2. Extract the files to a location of your preference.
3. Open the folder.
4. There are two files inside. The ‘New Tab (Orignal)’ is the original file in case you ever need to restore the original settings. We will be editing the second file. Right click on the ‘New Tab’ and click on Edit. Notepad will open up.
5. Simply copy the address of the file like we did in step 2 (of first guide) and paste it where it says, “PLACE YOUR CUSTOMIZED WEBSITE/WEBPAGE ADDRESS HERE”.
6. Save the file and close it. Get back to the folder from Step 3 and double-click on the file ‘New Tab’. Click on ‘Yes’ and then, ‘OK’.
7. You are done! You can now test it.
I hope you liked this guide. Please comment below.
Last edited by umang; 27th February 2009 at 06:17.
27th February 2009, 08:10 #2
welcome to the forum nice post
27th February 2009, 08:53 #3
Welcome to the forum umang.
I have downloaded the guide and really appreciate the hard work that you have put in it. Nice work
27th February 2009, 15:19 #4
27th February 2009, 18:35 #5
Ah looks quite nice.. Nice share. Welcome to WVC
27th February 2009, 18:41 #6
Excellent work there. If possible post an image here as well.
28th February 2009, 03:38 #7
well i tried but i had pasted the screenshots directly into word and the post maker on this site requires pics to be from websites (i think).
Originally Posted by tweakwindows
28th February 2009, 07:26 #8
See the guide written in the forum about up loading images here. Sorry I can't remember where it is posted, but if you do a search here you'll find it or some one else will direct you
Originally Posted by umang
Here : http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/fo...ges-forum.html