View Poll Results: Which Browser(s) do you use regularly?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Internet Explorer (any version)

42 41.58%
  • Firefox

47 46.53%
  • Opera

16 15.84%
  • Safari

3 2.97%
  • Chrome

22 21.78%
  • Maxthon

5 4.95%
  • Other

3 2.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    James is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    Thanks for this James, but did you also hear that it is not as secure as IE8 and Firefox 3 ? It's quite hard to know what to believe as every person seems to have a different opinion. I would be quite interested to wait for your follow up on this after you've had it for a while to know what you think then and to see what come up via such things as Security Garden and Donna security flash.
    Yes, it is hard to know what to believe. I think one has to be cautious with any Internet-connected PC, keep up to date, etc, etc.
    Since reading JR's tips on speeding up FF, I have implemented them and trying out my speedy new FF! I did like the look of Safari 4 and whether it is good enough to leave FF remains to be seen.
    I await Corrine's authoritative input on this subject.

seti is offline Member

Thanks for your reply James I too will wait and see what Corrine or Donna have to say before giving it a try. In the meanwhile I am sticking with with FF and next IE8 when it come out fully

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

While IE is my default browser, I like to use IE based Maxthon as its truly feature-rich.

Some more browsers, jfyi :
    Maxthon Browser - Full-Featured Browser
    Avant Browser::Home
    Lunascape Web Browser - The World's First Hybrid Engine Browser
    KIDO'Z Browser - A browser made for kids

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I use Firefox exclusively. I have tried to go back to IE many times when new versions come out but I always go back to FF.

In fact, after I discovered the add-on IE Tab for FF I have deleted all desktop and start menu icons for IE. I never open it.

The ability to customize FF is just superior to anything else I have used.

Pwrgrid is offline New Member

Default Favorite Browser

I agree that no browser is 100 percent safe from online threats, but I do like Firefox the best. I like the many extensions and add-ons available for FF. My favorites extensions are NoScript, image zoom, Location Bar2, Foxtab, and Adblock plus.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Here like everywhere else there seems to be a big Firefox fan club. I have it installed but rarely use it. I find all those add-ons confusing and my FF is also quite slow. I use mainly IE and Opera plus World Browser (which is neat and fastest) and K-Meleon (which is somewhat special). Plus, for certain things I use AOL because it does things some of the others don't do (and it is also my main email server apart from 3 others).

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Thanks for this James, but did you also hear that it is not as secure as IE8 and Firefox 3 ? It's quite hard to know what to believe as every person seems to have a different opinion. . .

. . .and to see what come up via such things as Security Garden and Donna security flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    . . .
    I await Corrine's authoritative input on this subject.
    Thanks for your reply James I too will wait and see what Corrine or Donna have to say before giving it a try. . .
    There is no protection for IEBKAC ("Interface Error Between Keyboard and Chair").

I used Phoenix followed by Firebird and now Firefox. With a dial-up connection, the old IE browsers were painfully slow on my old Windows 95 and Windows XP computers. It was on dial-up with Firefox that I managed to post over 10,000 responses on the old Lavasoft Forums in one year.

It would be very painful helping on the forums without some of the Firefox add-ons that I have come to depend upon, particularly those that have been developed by a member of the security community.

I also appreciate the customization of Firefox. Besides disliking toolbars (I know, that was another thread), when I am working logs I want as much screen space as possible. I cannot do this with an alternate browser.

More than the above reasons for my personal preference are the security features provided with AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Add WOT and common sense and I'm good to go.

All that is not to say that IE7/IE8 are not secure. There will be vulnerabilities with all browsers. IE is merely a bigger target. Windows Vista/Windows 7 with UAC on and IE Protected Mode provides a secure environment.

I have a personal problem with Apple software. As a result, I have no interest in trying Safari. Besides, I need my add-ons. Regarding Apple, I don't care for what I consider their foistware methods. I detest the way QuickTime tries to take over. A couple of articles Ed Bott wrote about his experiences:

Personal preferences aside, if you want completely safe, disconnect from the Internet and play games on your PC. Otherwise, regardless of your browser of choice, employ all the proper safety features (listed in no particular order):
    • Security Updates on all software
    • Firewall (+ router is even better)
    • Antivirus software (scan downloads/email)
    • Real-time protection
    • Anti-Malware software
    • Understand phishing
    • Common sense (Ctrl + Shift + Esc to End Task pop-up/pop-under)

rkonit is offline Gold Member

No choice for me definitely IE

seti is offline Member

Thank you for your reply Corrine I shall take note of what you say. As everyone says no browser is 100% safe and we are all responsible for our own online safety, but there is also a responsibility of those who make browsers to make them as easy to use, and safe for the average user who may not be as fully aware of security issues as the members here are

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Thanks Corrine, that was the post I was waiting for.
    It's so nice to have someone so well versed in PC Security here.

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last