Ripsnort is offline New Member

Default Internet Explorer 8 Bookmarks

Hopefully I'm not in the wrong place to post this thread. If so, send me a lethal virus to teach me a good lesson.

How can one find and save the Bookmarks in Internet Explorer 8. Help of course will be appreciated.

For those who cannot see this question, please advise me immediately.

Thanks!

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Bookmakrs are called Favorites in Internet Explorer terminology.

To save a bookmark, simply click on the Star icon with the green arrow on the Favorites bar on IE8. It will create a bookmark for the current tab and place it on the Favorites tab.

Alternatively, you can click on the Favorites text right below the Back / Forward navigation buttons and choose Add a favorite.

Ripsnort is offline New Member

Default Internet Explorer 8 Bookmarks

Thank you alsiladka for the reply. What I'm looking for, it a particular file I can find say in Explorer, so I can go in there, copy that Bookmark file and save it to a disk. If you can direct me to that, it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

I believe going in to your start menu and performing a search on favorites should find this for you.

If you are in XP go to: START > DOCS and SETTINGS > FAVORITES

If in Vista I believe it is: START > USER NAME > FAVORITES

Disk4mat is offline Beginner

For XP they are located under:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Favorites

Under vista Favorites are stored under:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Favorites

If your running vista you can click Start and in the quick search field type:
    shell:favorites

In IE8 if you want to backup your favorites goto the file menu in IE and select, Import and Export. Click Export to a file then click next. Check the box that says Favorites. Click Next and select the top folder named Favorites. Browse for a location and click Export.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Thanks for kicking this thread up. You may not be aware but we lost a few threads/posts due to an incident. Trying to recreate it a bit here with the help of the Google Cache.

You can backup you browser settings, including favorites / bookmarks using the Import and Export wizard.

Open IE > File > Import and Export > Export > Next > Save in directory > Finish. The default file name is "bookmark.htm".

You can import this favs file anytime bak using the import option of the same wizard.

Suggestion by skidmark : Also try Bookmark Converter and gave it a go for transferring from Opera to IE.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

This would be a good place to mention one of my favourite freeware applications, Am Deadlink:
    AM-DeadLink detects dead links and duplicates in browser bookmarks and text files. If a bookmark has become unavailable you can verify and delete it permanently. Additionally you can download FavIcons for all your Favorites and Bookmarks.
    It can also backup your IE Favourites and FF Bookmarks to a zip file.

tharvi777 is offline New Member

It seems that only yesterday, Internet Explorer was a clunky abomination of a browser that lagged behind its competition in all features, crashed constantly, and was generally frowned upon by anyone with the knowhow to download something better. Seeing as the latest version, Internet Explorer 8, was just released yesterday, that embarrassing recollection of failure literally was last week.

While browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari have made quantum leaps in performance, feature set and general usability within the past year, Microsoft’s offering, Internet Explorer 7, has remained practically stagnant since its release in 2006, riding on its success as the de facto “browser of choice” (or lack of choice) for lazy Windows users everywhere. With Internet Explorer 8, Microsoft has taken an incremental step forward, but probably not one big enough to lure power users back to the brand they abandoned many versions long ago.

Internet Explorer 8 includes all the usual claims that come with a fresh release, including faster performance, more security, and better reliability, but the gang up in Redmond have thrown in a few new toys as well. Accelerators, for instance, allow users to highlight words on a page and then quickly perform tasks with them. Highlight an address, click on IE8’s blue Accelerator icon that pops up beside it, and you can view it on a mini map almost instantly. Tabbed browsing now uses color coding, and Web Slices allow you to grab pieces of a page that change constantly (like a weather forecast) and turn them into a sort of mini bookmark that appears on the favorites tab.