johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Angry Multiple instances of iexplore.exe - Internet Explorer 8 Massive Problem

Hello everybody I hope this thread finds you all well.

As you can see from the title I am having real big problems with Internet Explorer 7 and 8.

The Problem:

When I launch IE I noticed some strange behavior in WTM (Windows Task manager). First I get 2 instances of IE I have checked this on my laptop and found this is usual behavior but when I close IE they remain in WTM. Then when I re-open IE another 2 instances open in WTM, and this is when things start to get a little strange. If I then close IE again I get "This tab has been recovered on my desk top every 30 to 60 seconds.

I was browsing two days ago and suddenly a radio station was playing on my PC and this was abnormal behavior. Virus??? I don't know as I have never had this before.

What I have done:

I have ran a complete system sweep using Eset and A-Squared.
    Un-installed programs that I do not use as well as unknowns.
    Removed all but needed start up entries.
    Checked all processes and services in WTM
    Removed IE 8 update (problem also happens in IE 7)

I have drawn a blank and have resulted to using Opera as default.

I would be grateful for any suggestions in helping sort out this problem and as always I don't really want to re-install Vista but understand this is an option for the last resort.

JR.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Rt click on both the iexplre.exe processes in the task manager and open file location. If it is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe then its the legit MS process.

It’s perfectly normal to see two or more iexplore.exe processes in the Task Manager when an Internet Explorer 8 window is open. This is due to a change implemented in Internet Explorer 8 where the frame and tabs are split, each having their own processes. Each tab has its own process so that the rest of the tabs and the browser frame/window are not affected when a single tab process crashes.

Read more here.

A radio station was playing on your PC !? Well thats something odd. Perhaps a few more details ...

Thanks for the info and link andy. Do you know of anyway I can restrict the usage of IE to only use one instance. Basically restrict the use to one window and no more.
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 09-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Internet Options > Settings > Tabs Settings > check Always open popups in a new tab and check Open links from programs in the current window > Apply/OK.

But maybe there is a registry key setting or maybe there is a group policy setting which can can modified which will completely disable launching of a second instance of an IE window ....

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Also if you want to kill all instance of iexplorer.exe at once open command prompt and type " taskkill /F /IM <iexplorer.exe> /T ". You can kill any process with this.

Quote Originally Posted by nithinr6 View Post
    Also if you want to kill all instance of iexplorer.exe at once open command prompt and type " taskkill /F /IM <iexplorer.exe> /T ". You can kill any process with this.
    Thanks for this one nithinr6 didn't know about this and it will save me some time while i figure out why IE processes wont stop after closing the application.

dock98 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    Hello everybody I hope this thread finds you all well.

As you can see from the title I am having real big problems with Internet Explorer 7 and 8.

The Problem:

When I launch IE I noticed some strange behavior in WTM (Windows Task manager). First I get 2 instances of IE I have checked this on my laptop and found this is usual behavior but when I close IE they remain in WTM. Then when I re-open IE another 2 instances open in WTM, and this is when things start to get a little strange. If I then close IE again I get "This tab has been recovered on my desk top every 30 to 60 seconds.

I was browsing two days ago and suddenly a radio station was playing on my PC and this was abnormal behavior. Virus??? I don't know as I have never had this before.

What I have done:

I have ran a complete system sweep using Eset and A-Squared.
    Un-installed programs that I do not use as well as unknowns.
    Removed all but needed start up entries.
    Checked all processes and services in WTM
    Removed IE 8 update (problem also happens in IE 7)

I have drawn a blank and have resulted to using Opera as default.

I would be grateful for any suggestions in helping sort out this problem and as always I don't really want to re-install Vista but understand this is an option for the last resort.

JR.
    have you tried just reinstalling IE?
    i personally haven't used IE since way back when Firefox came out.

Default Please close this thread

Just to let everyone know that I was so worried about my system being infected after music playing for no reason, web site redirection, and icons changing into anything but the what it was ment to be I have re-installed vista. All the problems I mentioned at the beginig of the thread have now gone. Seems I put too much trust in Eset and A-Squared and need to be more careful.

Thanks again for all your coments.

ADMIN:: Please close this thread. Thanks, JR

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Two iexplore.exe in Task Manger..... thats not strange behavior. Its called Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE), which improves the reliability, performance, and scalability IE8.

In IE7, you'll find iuser.exe coupled with iexplore.exe.

It isolates the tabs and locates in separate processes. It helps to isolates failures of tabs, thereby reducing damage done to the rest of browsing session.

Beside it, if you got some strange behavior of IE/ redirection of URL. Then you system may have infected with Virus and should have scanned your PC with good AV programs.