Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    kyksyg is offline New Member

Lightbulb Why is IE7 faster than IE8?

Internet Explorer 8 is automatically installed by Windows Update w/o asking if you want it or not!... It may have security advantages over IE7 (which I never seen) but it has a huge disadvantage that makes reverting to IE7 a very good choice...

To test and prove IE8's slowness click the image link below and wait untill it is fully loaded and automatically resized to fit the screen and the mouse pointer changed to a + sign. Click somewhere in the picture and the image will be zoomed in to actual size. Now you try to scroll the image with the mouse wheel or the scroll gadgets under or on the right side of the IE8 window, you'll realize that the scrolling is very slow and jerky!...

OK now go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, mark Windows Internet Explorer 8 and click Remove. Say YES to all prompts. IE8 will be uninstalled and replaced by IE7, and you'll be asked to restart after the operation. After reboot start IE7 and complete its configuration.

Now click again the link below and wait untill it is fully loaded. Zoom in and scroll the image in any direction and voila! Good old IE7 is by all means faster than IE8!

If you are satisfied with the results and will stick to IE7, you should prevent Windows Update automatically install IE8 again. To do this, go to Windows Update, choose Advanced option (not Express) and uncheck IE8 in the list of the updates, and then check "Never ask me to download this update again". If you somehow miss this and IE8 is installed automatically again, you can repeat the operation to revert to IE7.

Has anybody (incl. MS) found a fix to make IE8 as fast as IE7?
    Last edited by James; 22nd October 2009 at 20:08. Reason: Removed link to large JPG

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I dont think I want to remove IE8 !!!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

From an operational point of view, I notice very little difference between the two.
    From a security point of view, IE8 is supposed to be a lot better - I guess I have to believe them.
    From a performance point of view, I did not notice any difference.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

^ Agreed, I think I will trust the security of IE8 over IE7 as its an advancement at the end of the day and I have seen no difference between the two or any browser come to think of it speed wise.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I don't know if this information is legit or not, but I removed the link to the JPG download, for security concerns.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Internet Explorer 8 is automatically installed by Windows Update w/o asking if you want it or not!
    Wrong. You must agree to the installation before it will proceed.

See Microsoft KB Article 957700: How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Stick with IE8; I'd never advise going back!

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

I find IE8 is slower to connect to internet when I log in to go online than IE7, but when connected runs ok.

seti is offline Member

I too thought you had to approve before installing IE8 in fact I seem to remember having to do so and to get up dates for it as well. This post in my reading seems ill-informed on this and therefore not trustworthy, I also seem to remember reading articles that said not only was IE8 faster but was more secure and more stable than previous versions.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

these days i am kinda hating ie 8.. whenever i right click and try to copy some text it doesn work the mouse pointer doesnt move on the right click context menu and some sites css and design gets messed up...

Page 1 of 3 123 Last