- 6th February 2010, 14:01 #1
New IE Flaw Gives Hackers Access to User Files
Microsoft warned yesterday that that a flaw in its Internet Explorer browser gives attackers access to files stored on a PC if the attackers know the name of the file they want to access.
"Our investigation so far has shown that if a user is using a version of Internet Explorer that is not running in Protected Mode an attacker may be able to access files with an already known filename and location,"
Read more on Microsoft Security Advisory (980088)
So how to protect - simple turn on Protected Mode.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go To tools > Options
- Navigate to security tab
- Check whether the Enable Protected Mode is checked or not, if not check it and click on Apply
- Restart IE.
- 6th February 2010, 14:07 #2
- 6th February 2010, 14:14 #3
Far too many flaws in IE for my liking. I'll take my chances with FF
- 7th February 2010, 20:19 #4
Thanks for head-up ritesh