HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Angry Why won't Internet Explorer 9 run on Windows XP ?

Why won't Internet Explorer 9 run on Windows XP ?

From IE9 FAQ:

Q. Does Platform Preview run on Windows XP?

A. No. Internet Explorer 9’s GPU-powered graphics take advantage of new technologies available in Windows 7 and back-ported only to Windows Vista. These technologies depend on advancements in the display driver model introduced first in Windows Vista.

Hear it from the horse’s mouth- Dean Hachamovitch, General Manager of the Internet Explorer team answers all IE9 related queries at “Channel 9 Live at MIX10: Dean Hachamovitch on IE9” .

vasudev is offline Moderator

Thanks for putting this !
    I wasn't aware of embedding Youtube videos in the forum. Now read that link explaining the same. Will do it myself next time.
    Thanks !

iMav is offline Gold Member

Yea, this was in news when IE9 was made public, fyi, even the leaked Live Wave 4 is not compatible with XP and chances are the final build won't be too.

optimus is offline Windows Enthusiast

i thought this new internet explorer 9 will be more better than this...it's quite similar to past versions

nirman is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by optimuspri View Post
    i thought this new internet explorer 9 will be more better than this...it's quite similar to past versions
    IE 9 Is much better than IE8 because of implementing HTML5 and CSS3 support
    For example: border-radius CSS property, Previously to implement round Border layout in IE web designers need Images, which take time to load. Similarly many other graphical and CSS implementation in IE9 not only help user to provide better feel and Interactivity but also increase the capability of web developer to provide better and fast designs with ease.

Although many of the feature introduce till now is previously available in other browsers like Firefox 3.6 or Opera 10.2 but don't forget IE have majority market-share in browser world. and enrichment of IE means enrichment of user and web developer and imply better web experience.

I don't understand what other feature they should implement in IE9
    --- HTML6 Before it come LOL ---

for Xp User it is little bit disappointment Its time to update to vista or seven for them.
    Last edited by nirman; 4th April 2010 at 08:27.

infopedia is offline New Member

windows vista sp1 is the minimum requirement for ie9...

vasudev is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by optimus View Post
    In fact IE9 has been built from the ground up with so many new features. One of the best among them is GPU powered HTML5, IE9 will run HTML 5 applications better by taking advantage of PC hardware through Windows.
    Check this video where its demoed against Chrome and Firefox -IE9 Vs Chrome, Firefox demo by Sinofsky and Dean

See how fast it is.
    Or you can try yourself these tests by running these tests in various browsers.
    Internet Explorer 9: Platform Demos
    btw the present ver of IE9 is platform preview for developers.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Despite Microsoft being the king of 'backward compatibility', I just don't see any reason why Microsoft would ever think about providing support to older versions of Windows for its new products. Look at the broader picture. I don't think Microsoft gives a damn about XP's market share. Infact, to bring it down, such steps are simply inevitable. When Microsoft has already reduced the number of automatic updates to the aging OS, why it would offer XP compatibility to IE9? Doesn't make sense to me.

Secondly, as [diplomatically and quite truly] mentioned in the video, IE9 will run on technologies far more advanced for XP to support. It all the part of the basic product life-cycle.
    Last edited by Jal; 5th April 2010 at 20:18.