JamesCD is offline New Member

Default IE Query: Cannot open microsoft websites

OK, I don't think I'm stupid, but this is driving me up the wall... I have one computer on my network that works well in all respects EXCEPT that it will not under any circumstances load a Microsoft URL. I simply cannot get onto a Microsoft web site (I want to download patches and updates) I've tried connecting to a microsoft site using both IE and Firefox, but no matter what I do, I get a dialog box telling that the browser cannot find the specified server.

I think I've been through every setting in both browsers and cannot find a black list containing "microsoft.com" or "microsoft.co.uk"

Can someone give me a clue ???

Many Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hello HappyAndyK

Many Thanks for the suggested fix. I tried each and every suggestion to no avail. I ran Highjack and Spybot and both uncovered malware but I still can't connect to the Microsoft URL

I'm guessing there's something nasty going on.

Best Regards

JamesCD

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hello there!

Follow this article
    How do I reset the hosts file back to the default? and use this tool Troubleshooting General Issues with Internet Explorer and see if that helps.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Boot in safe mode without connecting to net and run a good Antimalware (fully updated) and make sure any virus, malware etc are cleaned up (I would prefer Microsoft security essentials , or
    Try with Malware, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Protect Your Computer

Once removed then restart & then try connecting to net . Also change your DNS settings and see . Try with Open DNS.

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. The problem was related to a sneeky little virus. I got rid of it by updating my Protection software and using the MS Malware identification tool.

JamesCD