Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Automate, Schedule Internet Explorer 9 History cleaning

sunrisecc is offline Beginner

Question Automate, Schedule Internet Explorer 9 History cleaning

Under Windows 7, I have automated the clearing of IE9's cache files via Task manager and disk clean.

I would like to do the same for the history portion of Internet Explorer 9.

Any suggestions?

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello Seymour,

You can place a check mark (tick) in the 'Delete Browser history on exit' option on the general tab of internet option. This will delete the browsing history every time you exit the browser.

True. But I only want to do it on a periodic basis just as I have scheduled the disk clean to run weekly. I was hoping that Win 7's disk clean would have a hidden option for the history.

I know I can run CCleaner also. However I want to set it and forget it.

Hello Seymour,

If you only want the history to be kept for so long have you changed the 'days to keep pages in history' option in the 'browsing history' settings window? I never keep any of my history so have set the days to keep pages in history to 0. Obviously the current days history is kept even though the option is set to 0 but, as I use CCleaner at the end of every day the history is automatically removed. Go to Internet option. On the general tab clcik the 'settings' button in the 'browsing history' section. When the 'Temporary internet files and history settings window open browse down to the history section (at the bottom) and change the amount of days to keep the history.

I really want to clear the history on a weekly basis just as I do the cache. I have automated the cache and temp files cleaning via automating disk cleanup of system tools. Setting the history retention to 0 does not give me what I need. I do want the history be retained but totally wiped on a weekly/periodic basis.
    I am aware that I can do it via IE itself or via CCleaner. In fact, I now manually do via IE.
    However I am just looking for a way that the task scheduler can be set to do it just as I have done with disk cleaner for the cache and temp files.

You wouldn't be setting the history retention to zero it would need to be 7 days or whatever period you wanted. I had been thinking on the same lines as you, i.e., scheduler from the first reply I made to you but, having done some research, I haven't come across and answer. I'm not sure that scheduler could actually do the job as there is no option in scheduler to start the program then drill down to the delete history option - well not that I can see, anyway. Yes you could schedule IE to start but then you need an option to clcik the delete button and I haven't found anything suitable to do that, unfortunately.

This is what I use to run CleanMgr via task scheduler to clean the cache and temp files etc. It works like a charm. I just cannot find an option for the history.
    Use the Command Prompt and Disk Cleanup Options With Cleanmgr

Thanks for trying anyways.

Keeping two days worth of rolling history is not the same thing as clearing history at a certain point in time. I did ask how to automate this procedure. I clear my cache on a weekly basis during the night via task scheduler. At the same time or just afterwards, I want to use task scheduler to also clear the history. Hence the next time I start IE, it has empty cache and preferably no history.

I take an image of my drive 10 minutes after the cleaning. I have everything automated save for the history cleaning.

Additional background:
    Two of the main reasons I need to clear history are 1) Expression Web 4 loses track where IE has been when history gets too large and 2) history must also be emptied along with cache in order that favicon.ico gets updated as I build and test web sites.

I do agree with you about CCleaner. In addition, if I change the options within CCleaner, I will forget to restore the options for the history-only run.

I await the results of your testing.

Excellent.

Thank you very much.