MTerrien is offline Beginner

Default How to set up Internet Explorer to use Yahoo Mail account as default in Windows 7

In Windows XP I had Internet Explorer set up to use my Yahoo Mail account as the default for clicking on an email address or button on a web page to send email.

In Windows 7 I cannot figure out how to do that. When I select an email address from a web page I get one of two errors:

"Unable to open this internet Shortcut. The protocol "mailto" does not have a registered program" ; or

"Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed."

Does anyone have a idea how I can fix this?

Mike.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

The system default email client is started when you click Read email from the Internet Explorer Tools menu. The registered mailto handler is started when the user clicks a URL of the form mailto:someone@example.com.

Which is your default mail handler? There, set your Yahoo as the default mail account. Also under Default Programs > Set your Default Programs, make sure that, all possible defaults are assigned to your default mail client. Should help.

A bit technical, but nice related read at MSDN.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

You have to install Yahoo! Toolbar, so download it first. Yahoo! Toolbar - Stay in touch with your world.

When you install it, make sure you select the Install the Yahoo! Mail Plug-in and make Yahoo! Mail my default Mail provider checkbox.

Lady Sophi is offline New Member

I Love the thread. I learned so much from it. Thanks guys for sharing!

Flyboy is offline New Member

i too have downloaded the toolbar ,but saw no provision the "also download the Yahoo mail plug-in", as you use to see in to see in older toolbars ie ver. 7.2 .I see this problem all over the net ,so I am not alone with this frustration.Yahoo is not in my my defaults list, so cant install it as the default. I am not a novice ,but fear messing with the registry, have contacted Yahoo CS but they are worthless for tech support. And y "simple for an old man would help, thanks.Seems there should be a simple plus-in list to install all add ons. Will try to download the tool bar again(which will be about the tenth time, and try again. I'm running win7X64 IE-9