AVAman is offline New Member

Default Internet Explorer Tabs Gone Wild!

Hi Folks,

Since some work related estimating software would not operate on my ten year Dell laptop (XP - never had any issues), I finally purchased a Toshiba Satellite L755 (I'm cheap) from Best Buys in June.

A couple weeks after purchasing, I started having issues with tabs while using Internet Explorer 7 - I had previously always used Firefox - so tried that and shortly had the same issue. If I'm on say.. Craigslist searching cars, boats, etc - click on a link - new tab opens - I have to click at top to see link - every time I click a link a new tab opens rather than replacing current link, so I can accumulate tabs if I don't close each one. Also, I can't do any searches when this occurs - attempts to fill-in search boxes, bookmarks, etc results in getting all of the links/sites I've been to popping up and tabs opening up to infinity and beyond....

It has Microsoft Security Essentials and free Avast for virus protection. Both are set-up for automatic updates and scans. Also, downloaded and tried Malwarebytes. I spoke to one of the geeks at Best Buys and several said they had never heard of this issue?!

Regards and thanks for any assistance, AVAman

P.S. I will always be a computer neophyte - so please be gentle!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

For starters I would upgrade to IE9. The IE7 is too old.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes upgrade to the latest IE version as suggested by whs, first.

Deep Scan your PC with your AV again.

Set your IE to open links in the same tab - thats what you want, right?

You could also try Reset Internet Explorer settings easily with Microsoft Fix It.

Hope something helps.

AVAman is offline New Member

Actually, I have IE 9. Tabs do open in same window until they go wild. Sometimes it happens fairly quickly - other times I can search for a while before it happens. Also, it's not just the tabs, but that's the first sign of whatever issue I'm having. In fact, it just happened prior to checking this message. I could not log in (type username or password) - had to do my unfortunate restart.