Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Am I too far behind or is MS too far ahead?

gramma is offline New Member

Default Am I too far behind or is MS too far ahead?

I'm still using IE 9 'cuz it seems there's been many problems with IE 10, & now we're about to see IE 11?! Or does 11 correct the problems with 10??

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

I normally use Firefox but iīm also using IE9 on occasion.
    I installed IE 10 but got problems so i removed it.

Behind ?
    I found IE8 on another persons computer recently....

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I'm still using IE 9 'cuz it seems there's been many problems with IE 10
    Only a few people are having problems with IE10 but of course, as always, they get blown out of proportion by irresponsible and biased IT media outlets who love to bash and sensationalize any bad news concerning Microsoft.

If you are using Vista or newer, you should be at IE10 - even if you use an alternative browser as your default.

I found IE8 on another persons computer recently....
    Since IE8 is the latest version supported by XP, it is still heavily used.

Do note for the record that since IE8, Internet Explorer has continued to excel over the alternatives in security with social engineering based malware - the most prolific kind. While I personally prefer IE, I am not starting another browser war here, I am just saying we cannot and must use security as an excuse to avoid IE. And regardless the browser of choice, users (ALWAYS the weakest link in security) must still keep our systems updated, patched, scanned and blocked, and we must avoid risky behavior like illegal filesharing and being click happy on unsolicited downloads, attachments, and links.

To be aware of browser security, I recommend everyone sign up for Department of Homeland Security's US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin Vulnerability Summaries.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Trust me, there are no problems with IE10. Try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, you can always go back. IE11 further improves upon IE10's features, performance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Only a few people are having problems with IE10 but of course, as always, they get blown out of proportion by irresponsible and biased IT media outlets who love to bash and sensationalize any bad news concerning Microsoft.
    IE10 crashed my computer, BSOD....
    I use Firefox, so there is no reason to install IE10 when it causes problems.
    I only use IE9 for Microsoftīs (and other) websites that doesnīt function with Firefox.

If you are using Vista or newer, you should be at IE10 - even if you use an alternative browser as your default.

Since IE8 is the latest version supported by XP, it is still heavily used.
    That computer runs Vista....

But it will be upgraded to at least IE9 next week when iīm doing some maintenace on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Trust me, there are no problems with IE10. Try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, you can always go back. IE11 further improves upon IE10's features, performance, etc.
    Wrong !
    It crashed my computer, BSOD...
    Twice !

To be sure it really was IE10 that caused the BSOD i reinstalled my system backup (with IE9).
    Then i installed IE10 again, which almost immediately crashed my computer, again.
    So i had to reinstall my system backup (with IE9) a second time to get my computer working properly.
    And i have not had any BSODīs since then...

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

So maybe IE10 crashed on your system - It never crashed on mine and has been working smoothly as ever... so what does one say?

So maybe IE10 crashed on your system - It never crashed on mine and has been working smoothly as ever... so what does one say?
    That iīm not the only one....

I donīt use IE normally so i have no real need to upgrade.
    If however i get some free time i might check for a newer version of IE10, MS might have found and fixed the problems now.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 31st July 2013 at 21:09.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Hmm, there are problems. I could not even properly install it. And several of my friends had nothing but problems. I would recommend to stay with IE9 and wait whether IE11 does any better.
    hackerman1 likes this.

Do note for the record that since IE8, Internet Explorer has continued to excel over the alternatives in security with social engineering based malware - the most prolific kind.
    Please explain what you mean.

While I personally prefer IE, I am not starting another browser war here, I am just saying we cannot and must use security as an excuse to avoid IE.
    There is atleast one good reason to not using IE: there is no easy way of blocking javascript.
    Yes, you can turn off javascript, but there is no way to allow javascript selectively, on "trusted" webbsites.

If you use Firefox, there is an addon called NoScript that lets you do exactly that.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/noscript/

Itīs like a real pain in the a-s-s (PITA) when you start using it.
    I know beacuse i removed it the same day i installed it....

Why ?
    Because you have to start building a "whitelist" of trusted webbsites before all your usual webbsites will work as before,
    as you will have to allow every new webbsite that you visit to run javascript.

But after having read about the dangers of javascript (driveby-shooting) i reinstalled NoScript.
    Even though itīs a PITA initially itīs really worth the pain as it increases your security.
    And there is less pain after the first few weeks when you have "whitelisted" your usual webbsites.

Opera is also better then IE, as it has an option to use different settings for javascript on each webbsite.
    In Opera you can set it to block javascript generally, and then allow javascript only on webbsites that you trust.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 3rd August 2013 at 13:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last