ChuckR is offline Beginner

Default IE 10 and ADOBE Issue

I am running the latest IE 10 and Flash Plugin. When I try to connect to COX website I get a message "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirement of Adobe Flash Player 9 or higher."
    This is bogus. I have talked to COX Tech and they have no idea what settings may be causing this, or what the problem might be. They simply say that it works on FireFox and that ends the support.

Does anyone have any ideas if there is something in the IE10 settings that may be impacting the website? Other sites, Yahoo, work fine.
    I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit. IE10 settings have been reset.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I too have Cox so no surprise there. That said, not all Cox tech support people are equal. If you call again, you may get someone who knows what they are doing for CLEARLY, saying it works fine with an alternative browser is no fix. It should work fine with IE. That said, I also have NO DOUBTS that this is a Flash problem, and not IE.

I wish the Internet were not so dependent on Flash. Besides problems like this, there are constantly new critical security vulnerabilities being discovered with Flash. MS tried to push them out of the way with Silverlight, but Flash is too ingrained and there is too much bias against anything Microsoft even when the MS alternative is clearly better.

I recommend you download and save to a convenient spot the Adobe FlashPlayer Uninstaller. Close IE, then run the uninstaller and reboot to ensure all hooks are removed. Then reinstall Adobe FlashPlayer and see what happens.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    reinstall Adobe FlashPlayer and see what happens.
    This is what you see on that page:
    "

Free! McAfee Security Scan Plus check the status of your PC security

Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus - optional (0.9 MB)

By clicking the Download now button, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the Adobe Software Licensing Agreement and the McAfee Security Scan Plus License Agreement.

Download now

"

Better links to Flash Player without the risk of getting unwanted software installed

Flash Player for IE:

http://download.macromedia.com/get/f...1_active_x.exe

Flash Player for other browsers, Firefox & Opera etc:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._11_plugin.exe

Sometimes an older version of Flash Player works better.
    There has been problems with new versions.
    Of course an old version is less secure, but if it works...

Archived Flash Player versions

Verify Flash Player Installation

"To verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page,
    or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.

Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
    "

Last edited by hackerman1; 24th September 2013 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1
    This is what you see on that page:
    Just uncheck the box for McAfee and download Adobe.

Just uncheck the box for McAfee and download Adobe.
    Yes, of course....?
    Itīs very easy to do.

But the point is: if you donīt, then you get unwanted software installed.

So itīs smarter, safer and faster to use the directdownload-links instead.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 25th September 2013 at 11:38.

I unloaded Flash. I then installed 168 on FireFox and 175 on IE10. Same results.
    "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirement of Adobe Flash Player 9 or higher."

I even Re-Installed IE10
    Last edited by ChuckR; 24th September 2013 at 22:34.

@ChuckR - So it does this with both FF and IE? If so, that changes things. Have you scanned for malware?

But the point is: if you donīt, then you get unwanted software installed.
    I agree. But the reality is today, whenever you download anything, if you don't pay attention and if don't select the custom install option (if offered), you will likely download a toolbar, a search box, a scanner, an auto-updater or some other program the developers try to foist on us. And while this is especially true of free programs, it is not limited to free programs. So it is imperative as users, we are not click-happy, and we pay attention to what is happening when install anything. This is now, just part of practicing safe computing.

Many of these foist attempts are not so in-your-face as that McAfee one is. Still, point taken and I should have warned to look for, and to opt-out of any unwanted extras.

To be fair, however, developers of these free programs need to feed, clothe, and shelter their families too. So they need a source of revenue and as long as it is easy for users to see these extras, and they provide an easy way to opt out of them, I don't have a problem with it - at least with free programs.

Many of these foist attempts are not so in-your-face as that McAfee one is. Still, point taken and I should have warned to look for, and to opt-out of any unwanted extras.
    The problem is that most people are "trigger-happy"....

Yes, small softwarecompanies needs to make money, and btw. Adobe isnīt small...
    But it would be a different situation if those "extras", like in this case McAfee was not pre-checked.

Offering "extras" is one thing, having them pre-checked so people get them downloaded and installed without knowing & wanting them is something else.

Yes, you should have warned about McAfee when you told Chuck to download from that page.
    Itīs very easy to miss it, especially if you get an advice from an MVP, because then you think itīs safe to download from the page....

Regarding the problem with "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirement of Adobe Flash Player 9 or higher."
    I have also had similar errormessages in Firefox for a while, it usually works if i reload the page.
    Weird errormessages is quite normal from Adobe Flash Player...
    They recently updated, so new problems and messages are to be expected.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 25th September 2013 at 14:28.

To clarify. IE10 is the problem. FireFox works okay. I have not tried to REFRESH the Error Page. I will give it a try. It didn't correct the problem. Same message each refresh.