pmillen is offline New Member

Default A Web Site Closes IE 11 but Not IE 10

When I attempt to go to thestory.org using IE 11 I receive a notice that IE 11 has closed and is attempting to reopen. It can't reopen.

IE 10 on another of my computers will open the web site properly.

I tried to re-download IE 11 but it won't because, apparently, my installed version of IE 11 is newer than the one Microsoft is downloading.

So I tried to download IE 10 from Microsoft. I received a notice that IE 10 is already installed.

I'm rapidly growing tired of Windows.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Its not a problem with IE11 or Windows. Its that webpage which is the cause for your problem.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

You did not tell us which version of Windows you use, but I use W8.1 and IE11 and I was able to access and navigate around that site with no problems, so not sure why you were not. I note most problems with IE are due to misbehaving or conflicting add-ons. I recommend you reset IE by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, then clicking Reset. Hopefully that will clear your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Its not a problem with IE11 or Windows. Its that webpage which is the cause for your problem.
    Perhaps, but it's curious that the webpage malfunction doesn't affect IE10.

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    You did not tell us which version of Windows you use... I recommend you reset IE by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, then clicking Reset. Hopefully that will clear your problem.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sorry, all three of my computers run Windows 7 Home.

I did the Reset. No change.

Later this morning I'm going to go to my wife's computer and attempt to access the web site. If it opens properly and she's using IE10 I'll install IE11 and test again.

Film at 11.

Perhaps, but it's curious that the webpage malfunction doesn't affect IE10.
    Yes it is, but the fact I can access it with IE11 tells me the problem is local on your system (a security or firewall setting or perhaps a corrupt file) and not a problem with the programming of IE11, or a compatibility issue with the site.

mikesmrs is offline Beginner

I had a similar problem with a website which did not support IE11.

I found that by touching the 'tools cog' (top right of the window); opening 'Compatibility View Settings' and adding the website, all now works fine. If you load the web-page before going to the settings, it automatically offers the address, so you only then need to touch 'Add'.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesmrs View Post
    I had a similar problem with a website which did not support IE11.

I found that by touching the 'tools cog' (top right of the window); opening 'Compatibility View Settings' and adding the website, all now works fine. If you load the web-page before going to the settings, it automatically offers the address, so you only then need to touch 'Add'.
    (1) Thanks for the tip. I had tried that before posting here.

(2) Not all of my quoted posts and replies are posting so the preceding sequence looks odd.

Well, this is interesting. I tried to access that site again this morning with IE11 and it crashed! That was on my W8.1 system. So I tried it on my W7 system with IE11. It crashed! Works fine with Firefox and Chrome.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell at this point if the problem is with the site or with IE11. It may seem obvious that it is IE11 but it is not as many sites check to see what browser and version of browser you are using, then render the page based on that version. Or they may block access if they don't recognize the browser. This is why some financial sites (who are often behind in updates) report "You have an older version of browser X" when in fact you have a newer version!

If the site is not coded to recognize IE11, it may not render correctly. I am not (by any means) an expert in this area, but as noted here, some sites serve custom code to make the page render properly. If not updated for IE11, it may cause problems.

This has been happening since IE7. When IE6 dominated, sites would code for IE6 to make their sites standout. Starting with IE7, Microsoft started coding IE to be more and more compliant with W3C Standards, but sites - especially those on limited budgets or limited IT resources did not, and have not stayed on top with re-coded their site software for compatibility.

IE11 is the most compliant IE yet, but sadly, many sites have yet to adapt.

If me, I would contact that site (via Chrome or FF) and tell them you (and others) are reporting problems accessing with IE11.

I feel if this were a problem with IE11, there would be 1000s and 1000s of sites that failed to work with IE11. But that is just not the case.

RobAld is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Well, this is interesting. I tried to access that site again this morning with IE11 and it crashed! That was on my W8.1 system.
    Me too! Surface 2 RT.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell at this point if the problem is with the site or with IE11.
    Let's blame both. <eg>

FWIW the site can be opened in standard emulation (Document mode: Edge and User-Agent string IE11) if I put it in the Restricted zone--hence disable Active Scripting. The F12 Script Debugger then shows there is a pretty hairy looking jQuery.extend function in there which I can't imagine could possibly cause a worse symptom by just being commented out but I haven't tried that yet.

FYI
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---