kwgynn is offline New Member

Default I can't get IE to install/load onto my Win 8.1 computer

I need to load the current version (suppose it its IE 10?) for Windows 8.1 but have been having no luck at all.
    apparently the software is already on my PC has never been installed. I have been using Chrome since I got the computer in November (setup for me when I purchased it, as per my request).

My reason for even wanting IE is because I was trying to access a specific website today with Chrome and was having limited success today so, since IE was their preferred browser, I thought I'd install it and give it a try. After over an hour of much frustration of trying to download IE and continually getting errors saying I already have IE installed, located the ieinstal.exe but cannot launch/execute it.

Any suggestions? I am very frustrated at this point.

Karen

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I am sure that Internet Explorer must be present on your system. Search for "Internet Explorer" from the start screen search and you will see it. Pin it to your start screen or taskbar for easy access. You will also see its folder in your Windows>Program files folder.

The latest version of Internet Explorer is IE11. While you can install it via your Windows Update, you can get the direct download link here: Download Internet Explorer 11 Download the package and install it.

RobAld is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwgynn View Post
    I need to load the current version (suppose it its IE 10?) for Windows 8.1 but have been having no luck at all.
    apparently the software is already on my PC has never been installed.
    Andy is right. You already have IE on your system. Otherwise Windows Explorer wouldn't work. You can use msinfo32.exe (aka System Information) Loaded Modules to find out exactly what version you have by sorting that display by Version and looking for module names which start with IE, e.g. ieframe.dll. Giving us version details that way also gives us a clue about your maintenance level. <eg>

One thing that could explain your symptom is having Internet Explorer unchecked in Windows Features. In fact, there would be another way of checking which version of IE you have. So, if it is unchecked there, you must check it in order to see the browser and its shortcuts. FWIW I have a suspicion that installing Chrome can cause IE to be hidden that way. Maybe it is just coincidence; I suppose I should try tracing an install and really see what happens with it. ; )

FYI
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

RobAld is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwgynn View Post
    I need to load the current version (suppose it its IE 10?) for Windows 8.1
    No. In fact, IE11 is embedded in W8.1

apparently the software is already on my PC has never been installed. I have been using Chrome since I got the computer in November (setup for me when I purchased it, as per my request).
    Yes. However, it may be hidden. Go to Windows Features and see if you can see Internet Explorer 11 there. Most likely you will see that it is unchecked?

frustration of trying to download IE and continually getting errors saying I already have IE installed

That's too bad. The problem is that it is not well understand by the average user that IE is a component of the OS. The iexplore.exe program is actually just a stub which uses all the browser functionality that the OS provides under the general term "Internet Explorer". When you uncheck Internet Explorer in Windows Features all you do is hide the stub program and any shortcuts associated with it. The rest of the browsing functionality remains at that level and its modules get updated regardless.

FYI
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---