Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    S.Br. is offline New Member

Default IE8 on Windows XP SP3 does not connect

Dear Windows Club;

Every time IE8 starts under Windows XP SP3, it can not connect to the internet:
    button 'Diagnose the connection problem' appears, I click it, 4-5 min later it says 'no problems detected' and everything works fine after that.

If I close the IE and reopen it - everything repeats: no connection, network diagnostics finds no problems, connection gets restored. Very annoying.

This problem started several weeks ago, and I assume there were no any updates from MS downloaded. The box has no other software installed.

Please advise. TIA.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

You will probably not like my response but you need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows. You are running XP which has reached its 'end of life' and is no longer supported. This means that you are not going to get future system updates.

You are also running IE8, the current version is IE11, you are three versions behind.

All the above said... Go to your control panel and then ... sigh, it's been a while. I think the control panel path will be (set for icon view instead of category) System/Hardware/Device Manager. Click the plus sign by network adaptors and double click on each that shows one at a time. Don't just go through and double click on all of them first off. Look for a 'Power' or 'Advanced' tab and then look for a check-box that allows windows to turn off this device to conserve power. Un-check that box and apply. Reboot and see what happens.

I can't say that my suggestion will fix your issue but I have seen this quite often in Windows XP and Vista systems and my suggestion has about an 85% success rate especially if the link is through a wireless adaptor.

I hope that my advice helps but can not make any promises.

I am going to guess that you are running a laptop or a desktop with wireless connection.

Thanks Jay;
    > You are also running IE8, the current version is IE11,
    > you are three versions behind.
    : I thought IE9+ are not XP compatible.
    > Look for a 'Power' or 'Advanced' tab and then look
    > for a check-box that allows windows to turn off
    > this device to conserve power.
    : Great hint!! Many thanks. Will do it as soon as I
    : get back to that box.
    > I am going to guess that you are running a laptop
    > or a desktop with wireless connection.
    : it's an OPTIPLEX 7xx w/USB w/l NetGear. Appreciate!

wait a second, Jay. If it is that 'Power option' you're talking about,
    then I don't understand why the connection can not be re-established
    when browser loads for the second time: there's not enough time for
    adapter to fall asleep... I'm still afew days away from that box, but
    will keep posted. Thanks.

Yes, of course you are correct in that you cannot run IE11 on an XP box. Sorry for my oops on that.

I know that the possibility of the power option being the issue sounds odd but I have seen it work on XP and Vista machines over and over. I can't prove but believe that it is due to bad drivers that are not properly communicating between the system and device. The system is simply not being told that the device has been in use so Windows shuts it down. Once down the system cannot restart the device due to that same lack of proper communication.

Of course all the above does not mean that my suggestion will fix your issue, it is just an option to try that cannot hurt. I will still assume that your Netgear is wireless. The power setting fix is pretty much just for Wireless.

Of course it is possible that the network card (NIC) is faulty but I'd want to see the power option change before going in that direction. If the power option change does not help my next question would be if you have another adaptor that you could try. I've never owned a Netgear NIC so can't say anything from personal experience but from looking at client's machines and what I've heard they are not very user friendly. Personally I prefer a Realtek NIC if built into the mother board or D-Link if a separate card combined with a D-link router. That last is just personal opinion and not anything that you should try to follow.

sorry, Jay, it took me so long to get back to that box...
    I did try your suggestions by disabling power-off options for all USB channels
    (and the mobo built-in NIC as well - the problem persists. Tonight I'll replace
    that WNCE2001 with either USR5416 or AWLH4030. Thanks for reading this.
    S.Br.

using USR5416 instead of WNCE2001 solved to connection problem
    with minor side effect: BSOD on system shut down

Make sure that you have the most current drivers for the USR5416.

If the WNCE2001 is built in I'd go to the BIOS to see if there is an option to disable. If there is no such option in the BIOS disable via the device properties. You would likely find the option under the Drivers tab. If the WNCE2001 is a USB device as I suspect make sure that it is unplugged. Actually if it is a USB device and already unplugged plug it back in and then go to the device properties and under the driver tab un-install the drivers and then unplug and re-start the system.

No promise that the above will work but is what I'd do at this point if it were mine.

WNCE2001 is a USB device, BIOS has no knoweledge of its presence.
    Strangely enough, all pings - both ways - were ok, so I think problem
    has smth.to do with the router and not XP. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Even though the WNCE2001 is a USB device have you removed the drivers? It is not impossible that there could be a driver conflict between those for the WNCE2001 and the USR5416.

As a side note I trust that you realize that Windows XP is no longer supported. You may want to see if your system's hardware can handle a more recent version.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last