Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    ChuckR is offline Beginner

Default IE 11 accidentally purged on Windows 7

I run Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
    I.E. 11 was accidentally purged, and I do mean purged(No executable, but alot of IE files).
    I no longer have ie4uinit.exe or iexplore.exe.
    I did a System Restore to a point before it was lost and accomplished nothing. The cab file did point out that a number of restores did not happen because folders were missing(why not create as part of a restore?).
    I tried to install 10 and 11 but get a message it didn't finish and go to a website that is unknown and can't be linked from the message even though it allows selection(probably wants IE to see the website).
    I have a custom machine that has an OEM product code and I am in the middle of moving and can't even find that disk. Even if I could I don't believe I could do a recovery from it of some version of IE.

Totally frustrated as most of the Control Panel options require IE greater than 5.5. "Help and Support" won't work, without I.E. I am sure.

In an attempt to rebuild
    I had copied files, especially ie4uinit and iexplorer, from my wifes computer. She has Windows 7 Home and the latest IE. Now when I try to install it says I have a later IE. Yet, it won't run it when I execute iexplorer.exe or ie4uinit.exe. ie4uinit.exe says ordinal 701(iertutil.dll) could not be located in the dynamic link library. I will try and find this on my wife's machine and move it. I am hoping I don't have to go into the Register, but I have been there before.
    Thanks

I just did a search on iertutil.dll and I have a dozen or more. Mostly in winsxs and a Temp.Download.

I ran FixWin and FixIE with no results. I do like the looks of FixWin.
    I ran IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe afterwards and it says missing ordinals and I Have a later Version. I have tried multiple OS fixits. Read Multiple ideas. I DO NOT WANT TO START WITH A FRESH ISO INSTALL.

Thanks for all help.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Try these suggestions:

1] Run System File Checker.

2] Open Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features On or Off. Here uncheck and then check the Internet Explorer check box. lick OK and the restart your PC.

3] Download IE installer and install it. Go here.

Hope something helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Try these suggestions:

1] Run System File Checker.

2] Open Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features On or Off. Here uncheck and then check the Internet Explorer check box. lick OK and the restart your PC.

3] Download IE installer and install it. Go here.

Hope something helps.
    Been there and tried that. There is nothing in Windows Feature for IE.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Been there and tried that. There is nothing in Windows Feature for IE.
    Thanks
    Ran SFC /SCANNOW to see what it finds. It says it can't do anything with some files. Then points to the cab file. This is HUGE and there is no summary as to
    what sfc couldn't handle.
    I did find where winsxs had pending renames. Confusing. I assume changes to the system result in changes sto winsxs which is backup if my memory serves.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Why waste time troubleshooting ?
    Just reinstall IE....

I.E. WON'T re-install. It says I have a later version somewhere. I need to find where it is locating this and remove it, even if it is in the Register.

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Did you copy wife's files, which were copied onto a usb stick, while you were in Safe Mode? And, did you copy all the directories related to IE [3 from: User AppData local, locallow, roaming, 1 each from 32 & 64 bit directories]? After the copying, shutdown and coldposted/booted? I was trying to reply from school earlier, its firewall didn't let me, so I finally replied from home computer.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 6th January 2016 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Did you copy wife's files, which were copied onto a usb stick, while you were in Safe Mode? And, did you copy all the directories related to IE [3 from User AppData local, locallow, roaming, 1 each from 32 & 64 bit directories]? After the copying, shutdown and coldposted/booted? I was trying to reply from school earlier, its firewall didn't let me, so I finally replied from home computer.
    From the information you gave, I did a half-ass job. Maybe a full-ass. I am sure I ran into issues with the security on system32 and sysWOW64. The latest thing I tried was to add OLD to Internet Explorer Folders. Hoping this would allow a new install.
    Should I go into all the locations you mentioned and, if possible, rename folders and, if security allows, delete all ie* apps/dll's/etc.

Do you have any idea where an install would find an indication there is a later version. 11 is the latest

Thanks

P.S. I went into local/localnow/roaming and added OLD. When I get a chance I will reboot to SAFE NETWORK and try an install.
    Last edited by ChuckR; 6th January 2016 at 16:45.

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Chuck, I don't have any more answers for ya; my copy attempts were only 50-50 successful; lots of geek stuff had to be done...often finally leading to a restore from a good previous backup.

Early on I tried a restore from an earlier time and it failed to re-build IE.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last