Sebastian4 is offline Beginner

Default Default download location ignored in IE

I.E. v11 in Win7 Pro keeps downloading to the desktop, even though I have set the default download location to \Downloads\. How can I make it behave correctly ?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Did you try it this way?
    How to change default download directory in Internet Explorer

Else create a system restore point first and then Run regedit.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Internet Explorer

Do you see a String value with key Download Directory? Double-click on it and check its value. Is it the Desktop folder? If so, set its value to a valid directory like say C:\Users\YourName\Downloads or whatever you want it to be.

If this does not help, go back to the created restore point.

Sebastian4 is offline Beginner

In a remote system that I manage [therefore not accessible at will], that key did not exist, so I created it. NO improvement. Destination is still the Desktop, although the SETTING is for \Downloads\. It is not the only THAT SETTING that gets ignored. The "SendTo - Desktop (create a shortcut)" in the Context Menu used to be ignored and instead, a COPY would be pasted on the desktop. In trying to fix that, I deleted those entries from the \USERS\Default\ and the \Users\user\ folders -and later recreated them there, but Desktop is no longer a destination in SendTo. So I might have had ONE problem : 'Settings being ignored' , rather than two separate problems. NOW I have the extra problem of DESKTOP being missing from SendTo, rather than it being misinterpreted.