Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes...IE 8 IS the most secure browser, says NSS Labs

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Yes...IE 8 IS the most secure browser, says NSS Labs

Which web browser is the safest?

Current trends show over 50% of malware infections occur via Internet download. During Q1, 2009 NSS Labs performed the industry’s first comprehensive test of web browser protection against socially engineered malware.

This report examines the ability of six different web browsers to protect users from this leading threat. The results are based upon empirically validated evidence gathered by NSS Labs during 12 days of 24x7 testing of more than 154,000 individual tests.
    Tested products include:

Apple Safari v3
    Google Chrome 1.0.154
    Microsoft Internet Explorer v8 (RC1)
    Microsoft Internet Explorer v7
    Mozilla Firefox v3.07
    Opera 9.64

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (RC1) was the standout in our tests, achieving a best-in-class 69% catch rate against Malware. It is clear that Microsoft is making an effort to provide security to their customers with IE8.

With a catch rate of 30%, Mozilla Firefox was a distant second to IE8, but commendable nevertheless.

Apple Safari achieved a respectable 24% catch rate, However, test results indicate operational delays in distributing protection filters, leaving Safari users unprotected for long periods of time.

Google Chrome’s protection was notably inconsistent. Initial protection was commendable, however as the test progressed, Chrome’s protection faded dramatically – bringing down the average catch rate to 16%. We were concerned that this was somehow an artifact of our test harness and spent extensive time manually verifying results. Our findings were that Chrome’s protection did indeed drop off significantly.

With a catch rate of 5%, Opera, provided virtually no protection against Malware.

With a 4% catch rate, Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 provided practically no protection against malware.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

More good MS press!!!

You know, the market is down for the year but on it's way up, and MS is about to release two great products.

I am going to buy some MS stock today!!!!

leofelix is offline Member

Interesting news,
    I think IE 8 RC 1 was a little better than IE 8, it seems a paradox I know.
    By the way, in relation to Pwn2Own we talked about some days ago... I found this article Asa Dotzler: Firefox and more: pwn2own confusion which may interest

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

What's that? Firefox's effectiveness is only 30%? I can't believe this? Anyway, good to see that IE8 has got the first place.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Incidentally, Google had also released a Browser Security Handbook in Wiki format a couple of months ago. It covers IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, Safari, Opera, Chrome, Android, and not IE8.

seti is offline Member

Another plus is MS in overdrive with their publicity one wonders I don't know if I really trust anything these days that says one thing then another says another thing! So this one found IE8 RC1 the best, but what about the final version

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    Interesting news,
    I think IE 8 RC 1 was a little better than IE 8, it seems a paradox I know.
    By the way, in relation to Pwn2Own we talked about some days ago... I found this article Asa Dotzler: Firefox and more: pwn2own confusion which may interest
    Thanks for the link, leofelix.

Personally, I hope the tests are correct and IE8 is more secure since that is browser used by the majority of the people. Bare bones, FF may not do as well. Add NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction and what then?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You get 100% security when you cut the ethernet cable - but then you don't need any browser except for playing with .gif files. If I have to study 500 add-ons to find the 5 that will make me safer, I rather go with the product that provides that in it's vanilla version.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Thanks for the link, leofelix.

Personally, I hope the tests are correct and IE8 is more secure since that is browser used by the majority of the people. Bare bones, FF may not do as well. Add NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction and what then?
    You're welcome Corrine
    I hope so but to be honest I do not think so.
    I could test new IE 8 way to detect malicious website, I think MS should work hard to improve it.
    And why should I give up Spybot Search & Destroy, JavaCool SpywareBlaster protection and a good patched HOSTS file in return of IE 8? I do not see any reason at present.

I use and reccomend Firefox with "no script", thank you for remembering it and what else? WOT maybe?

with my kind regards
    Last edited by leofelix; 26th March 2009 at 03:24.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Indeed, WOT! However, I would point out that WOT is not just for Firefox. It is also recommended for IE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast