vasu.jain is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Convert your Office 2010 docs into other Formats using inbuilt conversion feature

Office 2010 has recently been released and it has yet another great feature, conversion of your office document into the format of your choice from the office application “save as” menu only. Till Office 2007 third party tools were required to convert Word documents , Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations to other formats, with Office 2010 a build-in converter is present which eases the document format conversion.

Here is how you can convert your document to another format in Office 2010 :

1. Open a document in Microsoft Office Word 2010

2. Navigate to File Menu and click on ‘Save as’ option which is as shown in the screenshot .

format_convert

3. It will show you all different formats in which that document can be converted.

4. Select a format eg PDF from the list shown

5. Save the document after selecting the format of the file and filename.

Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations can be saved in OpenOffice formats, i.e, OpenDocument Text(.odt), OpenDocument Spreadsheet(.ods), and OpenDocument Presentation(.odp) among many others from the Word 2010 itself. Document conversion feature is available in other applications like PowerPoint and Excel of Office 2010. Here is the location of Screenshot Tool in these applications.

Excel 2010 supports the largest number of formats to convert your spreadsheet into, followed by Word 2010 and PowerPoint 2010.

format_convertXCL

Use Office Document conversion Tool in PowerPoint to convert into PNG,BMP,GIF,XPS Document,PDF & much more.

format_convertPPT

With Office 2010 conversions like Word to PDF, Excel to PDF or PPT to PDF does not require external apps like in previous versions of Office.

This Office 2010 Beta can be downloaded from here : Office 2010 Beta

Source :
    h ttp://windowsvj.com/wpblog/2009/12/convert-your-office-2010-docs-into-other-formats-using-inbuilt-converter/

iMav is offline Gold Member

This was there in 2007 too.

PS: Vasu & I are friends offline and I'm certain that my comment won't be considered as discouraging by him. My comment is more of a "fyi" for the readers. Peace all.
    Last edited by iMav; 12-30-2009 at 08:50 PM.

I believe you must have installed this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I have never found save as PDF in Office 2007

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    This was there in 2007 too.

PS: Vasu & I are friends offline and I'm certain that my comment won't be considered as discouraging by him. My comment is more of a "fyi" for the readers. Peace all.
    Well iMav i havent felt as such...
    btw if ne1 still doubts that v r offline frnz.. i m sure u hv the pic v got @ Windows 7 launch party

Also i hvnt tried sp2 on office2007 so might b unaware of the feature.

semi-tech is offline New Member

ok, I will ask the questions first, but I am postivie the answer is "we don';t ave it..."

BUT....I just built a new machine wiht office 2010 and created a few docs. Today I had to give it to my IT guy to fix and while waiting, I am using a computer with office 2007. I have been searching all day (4+ hours) to find a office 2010 downconverter back to office 2007.

Plase tell me that this exists. I have a usb disk with my office 2010 files on it and in trying to open a word.dox (2010) file in 2007, it says the file is corrupted. Ok, been there, done that two years ago when I was the pioneer and got 2007 and everyone else at the office had to download a converter for Office 2003. But now it is 2011 and it looks like the same error is out there.

one more insult to injury...I downloaded teh conversion stuff from micrsoft.com and also all the service packs for Office 2007. ran Update to make sure it all was there, checked it. Still 5 more attmpts to load the file using "open", Open adn repair", and a few others.

Then I rebooted....My office 2007 loaner machine went into a dskchk at boot, determined that my USB drive had a corrupted file (yep....EXACTLY...the one I had tried to open 10 times iwht Office 2010), and now I am back. No file, No loading of any office 2010 in any 2007.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT I JUST MISSED SOME SEARCH TERM AND THIS IS NOT REALLY HAPPENING............

rICH

LeeW is offline Gold Member

semi-tech - I'm not sure what your problem could be other than a corrupted file. *.Docx is standard Word file for Office 2007 and 2010. You should be able to open them between the 2 with no problems as they have not changed anything.

Just to double check that I wasn't misinformed I created a word document test file on my machine which has Office 2010, saved it as a *.Docx file and went to my gf's desktop which has Office 2007 and it picked it right up. There is no need for conversion unless you are using Office 2003 or earlier.

Have you tried opening Office 2007 then click the Office button then click to open a file.
    In the Open dialog box, click on the corrupt file that you would like to open and then click the small down arrow next to the Open button. This will bring up the Open menu.
    In the Open menu, select "Open and Repair."

I hope you get them repaired. I have been there myself and it caused me alot of headaches.
    Lee

semi-tech is offline New Member

then you have some magic that was installed somewhere else, or you have access to some system update that the rest of us might not get.. I did all this below as you suggested, read all this on the microsoft tech, partners, and this board, and machine stil say this was created with some other program.

Have you tried opening Office 2007 then click the Office button then click to open a file.
    In the Open dialog box, click on the corrupt file that you would like to open and then click the small down arrow next to the Open button. This will bring up the Open menu.
    In the Open menu, select "Open and Repair."

I have powerpoint, word, excel.....quite a few. NONE of them open ont he 2007 machine. I also tried opening it wiht "Get text from any file", and every single option on the list. I tried opening it in wordpad.

I thought that too that Docx was Docx, but it seems that it is broken.

So here is trying to open a file I have been working on for a week..

"powerpoint cannot open the file 'D:Newco.pptx' because the file format or hte file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the file format".

I am VERY reluctant to try this again, as I sacrificed my docx file in order not to screw up my .xlxs and PPTX files.

the most troubling is that a file got removed without even asking me because I was trying to find a solution.

No matter what, EVER, this should not have happened. I can see asking me, after 10 attempts, asking me if I have some problem wiht Word, but to delete a file on it's own?

I will go get my 2010 machine today and work on it, but unless someone can tell me that there is a real fix, the jury is still out.

(PS - life would be alot simpler in showing an example on this thread if you allowed cutting and pasting from the clipboard into this text....or even uploading a picture or Paint file inline. Most of us do not have a web site URL to keep pictures at to upload from.)
    Last edited by semi-tech; 01-27-2011 at 05:08 PM.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Semi-Tech: I am sorry you are still having the issue but first let me say, the desktop where Office 2007 is installed is just a plain setup Office 2007 installation that came with the computer. My gf is not tech savy at all and I do not mess with her computer so I know theres been nothing done with her installation of Office. To be honest she has probably never used it and never updated it.

Yes *.Docx is standard Word Document which is readable between Office 2007 and Office 2010. If files were automatically deleted then chances are they might have been infected in a way that could harm the computer.

Suggestion: Run a scan on your flash drive and make sure there are no infected files on it.

Another Suggestion: Have you tried using a different Flash Drive to transfer the file? Or maybe while on the machine with Office 2010, email the file to yourself and open it from the machine with Office 2007 to see if your still getting the same corrupted file.

To display a screenshot: There are many free image hosting sites and the one I use daily is Tinypic , if you don't want to create an account you dont need to, just open the link choose your pic and upload. It also gives you the format code to display it here in the forum\messageboard.