vasu.jain is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Update Microsoft Security Essentials Offline

Microsoft Security Essentials, a core anti-malware service that helps protect consumers against viruses, spyware and other malicious software is one of the best antivirus i have seen in recent times. Its a lightweight, 100% free to every user running genuine Windows. Like every other Antivirus it needs to regulary update its definitions from the internet. But if you are on a PC with limited access or no Access to the internet , here is how you can download the Microsoft Security Essentials virus and spyware definition update file offline :

1. Make note of the Windows operating environment (32-Bit or 64-Bit) you are having.

2. To download the file for a 32-bit (x86-based) version of Windows, click the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342

To download the file for a 64-bit version of Windows, click the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341

Just save the file on a USB stick so that you can connect the USB stick to the offline machine and then update MSE.

3. for Windows 7/Vista, right-click on the downloaded file and select Run as administrator. and for XP, simply double-click on the file and click Ok.

4. When the definition update file runs, a file extraction dialog box appears and . After the file extraction dialog box closes,Microsoft Security Essentialsí virus and spyware definitions status is Updated.

Source : Update Microsoft Security Essentials offline

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Hmm, why would I have to update MSE when I am NOT on the internet and don't let anybody attach polluted devices (e.g. USB sticks) to my system?

leofelix is offline Member

Thank you vasu.jain
    I like who takes care of security

alevin46 is offline Beginner

Hello Friends..........

Tips to Update Microsoft Security Essentials offline

1.First you must know whether Windows XP,windows vista or Windows 7 is running in a 32-bit or a 64-bit operating environment. You can find it easily by opening system properties.

2.Next, download the offline definition updates for MSE from Microsoft:

Download for 32 bit

Download for 64 bit

Just save the file on a USB stick so that you can connect the USB stick to the offline machine and then update MSE.

3.If you are on windows7 Vista, right-click on the downloaded file and select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or click Continue. And if you are on XP, simply, double-click on the file and click Ok.

4.You will see file extraction dialog box for a while. After the file extraction dialog box closes, open MSE, and click Update to verify that the virus and spyware definitions have been updated.

5.You are done

Thanks