nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Windows XP Repair needs password

Hi,

Recently had to use "Repair" on wife's XPhome PC.

We never needed a password to enter from the day I installed XP.

Repair requires to type the Administrator Password, which I have never entered when I installed XP, so the Repair can not be activated.

Also in control pannel, user accounts, computer administator, create password all the fields are empty & I presume there is no password set up.

So I created a password on my name as Administrator in user accounts, restarted the PC & had to enter the password to start XP.

Rebooted with XP CD, tried Repair with this Administrator password but still repair fails to start.

Than you.

Also in Start, Run, "control userpasswords2" I unticked "user password reqired.......".

Other people directed me to various links with simple &/or complicated proceedures but I could make one work.

How can I use R to get the PC to boot without reinstalling everything.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

You may be initiating the repair incorrectly (see items 2 & 3 below). Also make sure you have all your data backed up just in case something does not work as it should.

XP Repair install

1.Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

6.Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

@nichos You are initiating Repair Console... instead of repair installation. For Windows XP Repair Installation, just follow above steps mentioned by @roraniel.