spamalot is offline Beginner

Default Weird new Babylon Word add-in in context of Friday's yahoo failure

Hi all,
    I'm sorry, but I feel I need to give you the entire context to let you know how weird it is and what all happened at the same time (and when things happen at the same time, they ain't good.)
    This is something that totally freaks me out: In a hectic attempt to convert a huge document for a job into a format that is congenial for text work on it I went to several sites and downloaded a lot of test versions, none of which worked. McAffee was activated at some harmless point for one of the test versions. One other thing was that I was asked a standard "toolbar change" and said no and it still did it anyway.

At the same time yahoo had mail and website services problems - my site was completely gone at some point. The yahoo problem fixed itself.

Then today I opened Word to do some work on a newly created document and
    I clicked on the auto-spell check and it is telling me of some Babylon add in with "translation suggestions" (what a front, I'm a translator and m u s t rely on basic Word spell checking and no weirdo sources) -- also at the same time this babylon changed my own website and yahoo startpage from my start-up Explorer pages into google and babylon. What is Babylon -- I'm not in the software business and do not have the time to follow it, the name sounds familiar.
    I made sure that I completely uninstalled all of the test versions for that conversion software and also anything by the name of babylon and google. Then I tried to find under Word Options the Add in registry entry for that babylon, I found pretty much everything else but not it in those settings. I restarted after uninstalling but babylon isn't going away.
    I am completely stressed about this because it has happened that strictly confidential information becomes extremely interesting for the outside world while I work on it. I also cannot accept any add-ins for the spell check because whatever Word doesn't have needs to be looked up and I cannot accept any add-in referring me to the web (and thus having a permanent gateway to my PC) and I simply do not like it, never wanted it and do not know what it is.
    How do I get rid of it?

Scared and freightened and intimidated and just not feeling good in the hope however that you wizzards know what to do -- thanks a million times in advance.

Best wishes,
    Spamalot

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

babylon.com is a free translation service and they offer a toolbar. I have no idea how it got on to your PC, but its supposed to be a nuisance. Refer WOTs Report.

Maybe you want to remove it. If you see its icon in the notification area, right click on it and select Exit. Then uninstall it via the Control panel. Then in your Programs Folder if you see Babylons folder, delete it. Do a search on your System Drive for Babylon and delete those files/folders if you find any.

Then open msconfig or download freeware Winpatrol and see if you can still see any Babylon related start up entry. If so, disable or delete that entry.

Run freeware CCleaner to remove residual Registry and PC junk.

Restart PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your answer -- I suppose this will be fidgedy work because when I right click it won't let me even get to babylon and I have figured out that they write-protect it and needed to remove that before I deleted the last found file. However, it is still not gone away and I need to do swipe whatever remainders there are. This is so evil of them when time is so short and the file so long!
    Thanks anyways and a good Sunday!
    Spamalot

Hi again,
    Maybe the following turn of events might be useful to know for anyone with the same type of problem:

I contacted Babylon and after a while they got back to me (their US site, I suspect their German site to be the source of the mess). In any case they first ignored the fact that I told them the program was deleted and not in the Word Add-Ins etc and tried to tell me how to adjust my word settings, back and forth followed and then they provided me with what they believed their entry in the registry would have to be. I found so many things from them when using RegEdit. Among only some of them:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{AD79BAD6-9504-4F09-ACEC-7B319584A4C1}
    HKEY_Current_User in Software in Microsoft {5C9A2304-70A5-11D5-AFB0-0050DAC67890}

Wow6432Node in Conduit AppPaths
    Wow6432Node in Google, chrome, extensions (deleted all google)

Internet Explorer in Low Rights in Elevation Policy with own key

After every delete I did a new search, finding a lot more.... interesting, mind-opening, thrilling, a new hobby perhaps.

I believe this shows how they hacked my computer, damaged Microsoft Word and used google for it at the same time when yahoo was down --
    I am sure that there is a connection because on that day I went from yahoo to CNET for downloading test versions of conversion programs and
    Babylon was also in that remnant of uninstalled conversion program for Publisher to PDF.

Now that I have done all that and cleaned with CC Cleaner afterwards, the problem is still unchanged and the RegEdit seaches returns absolutely nothing AND some of the entries that were definitely from Babylon even called themselves just "Baby" -- there are a bunch of legit things also called Baby that have to do with colors, so a Baby-search isn't exactly reliable.

I do not know what to do -- and Babylon isn't exactly forthcoming for they knowet what thy donet.

Spamalot

Default Solution at last!

Folks, I found it and was afraid of that -- because I am a translator, I have the super expensive translation program that has an add-in for Word (which never worked and isn't used by me). As I found no add-in entry for Babylon I simply de-activated the Trados add-in (that's the legit translation software as separate program application) for those two documents that I worked on on that day -- and Babylon has disappeared -- it turns out that one of those two documents keeps leading me to its "template" in its own name, which obviously doesn't exist. All new documents can be used witht he Trados add-in.
    Thanks for your well wishes, patience and good vibrations.
    Spamalot.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Glad to hear that you solved your problem