whealie is offline New Member

Default Re install problems Windows XP

Apologies for being in the wrong place but, being new , I am struggling to find my way around.
    I am trying to do a total reinstall of xp on my old pc as it is a bit slow. I am using the pristine oem disk that came with the pc and am following a set of instructions in a magazine - but the results are not good. I click 'boot from cd' at the appropriate time and the pc then goes to a blue screen with Widows set-up in the tlh corner. A white band along the bottom of the screen shows me that many files are then being loaded. Then the message becomes 'Set-up is now loading Windows'
    But there it stops, I have waited up to one hour but nothing happens, Can anyone help please. I have tried using a diffrent boot disk but got exactly the same result.
    W

whealie is offline New Member

Well what a disappointing first visit - not even a hello
    byeeeeee
    W

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by whealie View Post
    Well what a disappointing first visit - not even a hello
    byeeeeee
    W
    Don't take it as users are just ignoring you. Sometimes threads get missed, or more the case, whoever has been on has no answer.

Try following Microsofts article on this (taken from the Microsoft support page for this error)

This behavior can occur if Windows does not recognize or cannot configure the hardware in your computer.

To work around this behavior, use the following methods:
    • Contact your computer manufacture to inquire about an updated Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).
    • Modify your computer's BIOS the following ways:
      • Change the Plug and Play settings. For example, if Plug and Play functionality is currently being controlled by the BIOS, change it so it is controlled by the operating system.
      • Enable or disable Universal Serial Bus (USB) support.
      • Disable power management support.
      • Disable infrared support.
      • Disable all serial ports.
    • Remove non-essential hardware devices one at a time. This includes a second video adapter, Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) adapters, modems, sound cards, network adapters, and other non-essential Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) adapters, Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) adapters, and PC Cards.
    • Disconnect non-essential external devices and cables, such as backup devices, external hard disk drives, printers, and scanners.
    • If you are using a notebook computer, verify that it is not currently in a docking station.
    • Specify a different computer type when you start your computer. For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      216251 How to Specify a Specific or Third-Party HAL During Setup
    • Using a text editor, disable unnecessary SCSI lines in the [SCSI.LOAD] section of the Txtsetup.sif file by typing a semicolon ( ; ) at the beginning of each line.

alexlloyd5 is offline Beginner

I've been through a similar scenario before trying to install Windows 2000 on an old Pentium II machine (which originally shipped with Windows 98)

the installation was going smoothly, till the first start where the white startup screen of win2k come up with that moving bar, and in the middle of that it just stopped responding.

May be you need to upgrade your BIOS in order to be able to install WinXP on your machine

Have you checked the support page for your computer? you would always find updates for the BIOS and drivers too.

If you find difficulties in finding the info regarding the bios, could you please provide us with the brand and the model number of your machine, I'll be more than happy to do the search for you.

I hope this would solve you problem.