edf
    edf is offline New Member

Post Microsoft Word dictionary stopped working or opens slowly

Hello, my name is David and I have a unique problem with opening Word Professional Pro 2007 dictionary. I have a Windows 10 OS and use Firefox as my browser.

Several months ago I noted that when I wanted to check a word it took several minutes before the dictionary opened. During this time the Word program froze, nothing worked until the dictionary opened. Several Microsoft major updates later it now takes 8 to 10 minutes before the dictionary opens. Any help in correcting this problem is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    David

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Restore the dictionary to default and see if that helps.

Open File Explorer, copy paste the following path in the address and hit Enter:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spel ling

Here, C drive defines your system drive or where the Windows is installed and <username> is your username.

In the Spelling folder, you will find one or more than one folders. If you have used more than one languages on your system, you will find more than one folders in this Spelling folder.

Choose a folder based on the language you have used previously. In each folder, you can find three different files called default.acl, default.dic, and default.exc.

Cut-paste the default.dic file on your Desktop to store it there temporarily.

Now open Control Panel, and repair Microsoft Office installation.

Restart your computer and see if it has helped you.