Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Default Download only unread mail in windows mail

Recently i configured my gmail acount in windows mail. The problem is WMail is downloading all the messages in my inbox. Is there a way to configure it so that it downloads only the unread mails?

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by nithinr6 View Post
    Recently i configured my gmail acount in windows mail. The problem is WMail is downloading all the messages in my inbox. Is there a way to configure it so that it downloads only the unread mails?
    I am sorry I do not know the answer to this. I had the same problem and changed to Live mail, which I use through messenger and outlook. Apart from the first import problem when all was downloaded, I now only get new emails delivered. I do not know if this advice will help, but give it a try.

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Hey Nithin,

First up, are you using Windows Mail in Windows Vista or are you using Windows Live Mail ? If you have not switched to Windows Live Mail, I suggest you do that asap. Windows Live Mail has replaced Windows Mail as the free desktop email app from Microsoft. Its definitely better than Windows Mail.

Also, are you using Gmail via POP3 or IMAP protocols? In Windows Live Mail, I remember there being an option to choose between Download All Mails , Download New Mails & Download Header.

Is it present in Windows Mail too?

soumya is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nithinr6 View Post
    A friend of mine, Ankur, suggested that you try this. This is a lifehacker article titled "How to re-download recent Gmail messages", let's see if it works with unread emails. Here is the article :-

You've already downloaded your Gmail messages via POP, but now you want them again in another client. Gmail will have marked those messages as downloaded already, but to re-download them, use this neat trick, spotted in the Gmail help list:

Gmail POP will only download once, but you can used the recent command to get the last 30 days emails. For all other POP clients, replace 'username@gmail.com' in your POP client settings with 'recent:username@gmail.com'
    Handy, especially for downloading messages to a handheld after getting them once on your desktop

lifehacker

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by soumya View Post
    A friend of mine, Ankur, suggested that you try this. This is a lifehacker article titled "How to re-download recent Gmail messages", let's see if it works with unread emails. Here is the article :-

You've already downloaded your Gmail messages via POP, but now you want them again in another client. Gmail will have marked those messages as downloaded already, but to re-download them, use this neat trick, spotted in the Gmail help list:

Gmail POP will only download once, but you can used the recent command to get the last 30 days emails. For all other POP clients, replace 'username@gmail.com' in your POP client settings with 'recent:username@gmail.com'
    Handy, especially for downloading messages to a handheld after getting them once on your desktop

lifehacker
    That trick wasnt perfect but still it downloaded less mail rather than the whole inbox

iMav is offline Gold Member

This has to be configured under GMail settings & not in Windows Mail Screenshot:

And as @Alsiladka suggested move to Windows Live Mail.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

After it Gmail Server will deliver those mail only which arrived since POP service is activated.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

as iMav states it, this has to be configured in GMail itself but when choosing IMAP in Windows Live Mail, it downloads all folders and mail as is. On the other hand POP service downloads newer mails.

iMav is offline Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest anyone use Google's IMAP. In simple English, "it ****s." Crashes the client and freezes the PC.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

^ It does but u may have noticed that it shows such behaviour only when it is downloading mails. After it finishes it works fine. And the possbility of crash happens only when one of the IMAP folders is selected. But in the end it depends upon user's preference whether or not to use IMAP.
    Last edited by Jal; 25th September 2009 at 18:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last