Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Sue
    Sue is offline New Member

Default Windows live movie maker: need help

Hello.
    Thanks for letting me join...i'm new to this and will take a while to learn the site. I found it through a search.

I am using "Windows live movie maker" that I recently downloaded through MSN. It's a great program. Very user friendly and wonderful to work with. But, NO other program recognizes it....like You tube, Media Player, etc.... I created a home movie (i'm an artist, and filmed my techniques) that is 100 min long... I added captions, text, credits at the end, etc...its great! But it won't allow me to burn onto a 120 min DVD. I clipped the movie down to 50 for a test rn, and it allowed me to burn, but, It took me 6 hours!!! That is a long time! I need to download/buy a program that will compress or convert my DVD and make it burnable within a 30 Laps time. I looked on line and there are several free programs even...but, none of them are compatible with WLMM. It finds my clips...but, not the edited movie :-( I need help on figuring this out so that i can mass produce these dvd's. Do you know what other equipment do I need to buy? thanks for the help.

seti is offline Member

@Sue, Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sure that someone here will be able to help you with your problems I think whs might be able to do so for example, sorry I can't, but hope you enjoy your stay with us.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Hi Sue, a good program for burning DVDs that can be played on Video recorders is DVD Flick ( DVD Flick ). The usual output of WLMM is .wmv and that should work fine. But you have to understand that a DVD can only hold 4.7GBs in single layer and 8.54GBs in double layer (which I am not sure whether all DVD players can read) - see here for detail ( NationMaster - Encyclopedia: DVD ). One way to reduce the number of bytes is to go with a lower resolution - but that also lowers the quality of the output. Here are some ideas on how to do that ( Reducing Video File Sizes ). If you have trouble uploading your video to YouTube, try Vimeo ( The Vimeo HD Channel on Vimeo ). That always worked well for me. Example of one of my videos which is a captured PowerPoint presentation ( Power Point color fading on Vimeo ) - put it in Full Screen and speakers on.
    Hope that helps.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Hi Sue, a good program for burning DVDs that can be played on Video recorders is DVD Flick ( DVD Flick ). The usual output of WLMM is .wmv and that should work fine. But you have to understand that a DVD can only hold 4.7GBs in single layer and 8.54GBs in double layer (which I am not sure whether all DVD players can read) - see here for detail ( NationMaster - Encyclopedia: DVD ). One way to reduce the number of bytes is to go with a lower resolution - but that also lowers the quality of the output. Here are some ideas on how to do that ( Reducing Video File Sizes ). If you have trouble uploading your video to YouTube, try Vimeo ( The Vimeo HD Channel on Vimeo ). That always worked well for me. Example of one of my videos which is a captured PowerPoint presentation ( Power Point color fading on Vimeo ) - put it in Full Screen and speakers on.
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks my friend I knew you'd come up with an answer for Sue

whs

Hi Seti, no problem. We'll see whether we can get Sue going. There are a few of her problems that I do not understand yet - e.g. why she got cut off when burning the DVD. With a standard output quality (which is quite miserable), the Movie Maker produces about 5MBs per minute. That would make it less than 700MBs for her 2 hour video which fits easily on a DVD. But maybe she used a much higher quality level. Well, we'll know better when she comes back.

Sue

Thanks Everyone.

Naturally, with the holidays, I've been very busy and no time to take care of this. I have just today, tried once again to work in this and have downloaded this version Free Trial RZ DVD Creator (tried to post a url, but, wouldn't allow me) and so far, no luck. I love the little movie I created, and I just want to hit burn and it work! LOL if life was that easy! I guess, its too large a file...maybe its passed the MG, rather then the time frame of 120 allowance. Is that possible? It "does" burn, but, takes wayyyy toooooo long. (and as long as I clipped it down to a smaller size) which is no good to me, as I need the whole length of it. I don't' know how to burn it in a lower resolution, using this program. The only option it gives me is "wide screen", full screen, SD, and TV mode??? I need something that will compress or shrink this 100 min film to a burnable size, with out loosing quality, and to be able to mass produce them, burning a DVD in 30 min. Is there such a program? sign.....frustrated in northern Ontario!

whs

Sue, How big is your 100 minute file? If it is under 4.7GB, it should burn to a DVD-R. Did you try DVD Flick as I suggested in my first post. That always worked well for me.
    Also, for uploading, you should have no problem - I assume the filetype is .wmv. But you can try Vimeo as I also suggested in my first posting. That works.

Sue

Hi whs...and thanks again!
    I just checked and its
    size: 187 KB (191,784 bytes)
    size on disk: 48.0 KB (49,152 bytes)

I'm not sure what this all means :-(

whs

Something is wrong here. A 100 min video should be a LOT bigger. I don't even have videos that big, but in my library I checked the 3 to 8 min videos and they are 40 to 300MBs. 187KB is not even a single picture size.
    Hover over your 100 min video file and see what it says (you can also right click on it and look at properties). My guess would be that it is several Gigabytes large.

Sue

Hum....well, I don't know what to tell you :-( its what it sais when I right click and check properties. I looked around some more to find more info, and I can't seem to find any thin else that would help.

I have a JVC HD camcorder, and filmed 58 little clips and made a movie out of it, using WLMM...when I downloaded the clips on my laptop, I had to convert them all. (I have no idea to what...I just had to convert( which took a loooooonnnngggg time to do. I'd say about 5 to 6 hours. once that was done, I was able to start my movie. when I clicked on burn (on the shortened test) the DVD program when to an other 'conversion" and then a burn, and then a this and a that...and finally...after 6 hours, it was burnt. but, this is no good to me, as its too slow, and also, clipped. so, I have to figure out how to compress this, to make it fit on 120 min dvd, and then, to make it faster to burn. I don't mind buying the software, as long as I get the correct one. I don't want to download and pay for all these programs and they are no good to me. so far, I've downloaded several dif kinds and all of them, couldn't locate my WLMM file. and I would also be willing to purchase a professional or industrial burner, to make this faster. or at least, copy my master dvd.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last