stew1958 is offline New Member

Default windows live messenger 9 on xp sp2

as i found out, theolder version of messenger doesnt work under sp3, and messenger 9 is required.

however, i dont like sp3, i installed it, found that it slows down p2p a hell of a lot, once i uninstallewas back

anyway, is to messenger 9 withinstallin sp3?

seti is offline Member

Sorry didn't understand this post, please clarify. Are your referring to XP SP3 or what

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by stew1958 View Post
    as i found out, theolder version of messenger doesnt work under sp3, and messenger 9 is required.
    I am sure that it should work what err is it giving?
    or is it asking for upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by stew1958 View Post
    however, i dont like sp3, i installed it, found that it slows down p2p a hell of a lot, once i uninstallewas back

anyway, is to messenger 9 withinstallin sp3?
    P2P is nothing to do with the SP3 check out Post Forwarding tutorial and see if all of your necessary ports are open may be there is a Trojan who have blocked 'em up.

And yeah please ask question briefly....

stew1958 is offline New Member

to clarify things a little.....

what i did was install messenger, a version i had on disc, then when i went to log in with my msn user id, it told me i needed the newer messenger 9 to be able to log in.

so i downloaded messenger 9, but it wouldnt install unless i had sp3 (for win xp pro) installed.

please note, up to this point, my p2p was working just fine, as the ports were forwarded.

once sp3 was on the system, sure i could use messenger 9, but the a$$ droped out of p2p, no good. (i went into the modem and the port settings were still the same as before, and the port (utorrent)was using was stame.

so i uninstalled sp3, and yep, you guessed it, my p2p was back to its good speeds again.

what i want to do is run messenger 9 without the bs of sp3, (that slows down the system, as well as internet) im sure there is a way to tweak the reg, or a patch around, but my knowledge of reg tweaking is not that good.