popps is offline New Member

Default Has Anyone Tried This .. using same license for x86 & x64?

Having loaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit into a NEW computer that I built, I was wondering what to do with the 32 bit disc that I have leftover. Can I load that 32 bit into a DIFFERENT computer and use it? What does MS say about this? Will they allow it? Or, do I just have a new shiny drink coaster for the coffee table?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I beleive If you only have one activation key you can only install one version.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I don't know about anyone else but I have a Toshiba Laptop which came with Vista but I got the Windows 7 Upgrade disk free. I installed the 32bit Windows 7 and this past weekend I installed the 64bit Windows 7 from the same disk into vmware and it activated. I don't know if it has anything to do with it being the same machine....... but it did activate and I haven't had any trouble

(Wouldn't have even attempted to do it but needed to test one of my applications I wrote in a 64bit enviroment and had no choice)

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I beleive it is because it was the same machine.

I also think that even if it activates it is not legal to install copies on two different machines with one activation key.

I know it possible to do so and activate a lot of MS software after a period of time because MS expires the data on thier server, but that does make it legal.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Runing in a virtual partition of the same machine will probably work because it is looking for the mobo id.

Zecom is offline Beginner

Many people have loaded 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 on the same computer to see what applications they can and cant use ... but it should be just one product key for one operating system on just one computer.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I won't tell if you don't tell.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by popps View Post
    Having loaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit into a NEW computer that I built, I was wondering what to do with the 32 bit disc that I have leftover. Can I load that 32 bit into a DIFFERENT computer and use it? What does MS say about this? Will they allow it? Or, do I just have a new shiny drink coaster for the coffee table?
    It is LEGAL to install only and only one either 32bit or 64bit version of Windows and can use the product key to activate on same machine.