ArKay is offline New Member

Default Windows Live Moviemaker question

OK, to set the stage.

I recorded a video (which plays fine) with my Haupaugge WinTVHVR850.

I then copied the resulting video file to my desktop to have a version to work on and still have the original in case I messed up the editing.

I then used WLMM to edit out the commercials. I saved it as a project file at that point.

So far everything has worked as expected.

I then decided to turn it into a .wmv file so I could ultimately burn it to a DVD. No problem, clicked the standard definition option under the pull down for file options and let it go.

3 hours ago.

So far not even the slightest sliver of 'done' on the status bar. Task manager shows -00- CPU being used for Movie Maker. I even killed the process the first timne after an hour and no result, restarted and checked to be sure the vidoe was OK and that it would play in the preview pane of WLMM. It does, as edited.

Have I erred somewhere here ? What's going on ?

Anyone ?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you "save" the video ("save movie" in the drop down list of the "orb") or the string of edited clips, you will automatically get a .wmv output.

ArKay is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you "save" the video ("save movie" in the drop down list of the "orb") or the string of edited clips, you will automatically get a .wmv output.
    Right.

You can 'save project' (which I did prior to trying to save the video) which does -not- create video. It saves all the editing and what not so you can pick it up later. It's a super tiny file which seems not to effect the original video file at all.

Then there is 'Save Movie' option that creates the .wmv file.

That is what hangs the program.

Literally, it goes nowhere. The CPU for the Moviemaker Project goes to 00, the progress bar does not advance a whit and nothing occurs. The cancel button does not good either. All you can do is cancel the procress (moviemaker) in Task manager.

My question is - what am I doing wrong ? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Movie Maker ?

Is there an issue with it editing and saving files that Windows Media Center creates ?

Anyone have an idea ?

I've used Roxio Toast before. I used Roxio creator before. I've made DVDs using other programs. Just not WLMM.

Help !

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

All I can think of is that there are problems with the key frames that got scrambled from the editing. Try to save an unedited piece and see whether you encounter the same problem.