Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Cannot Install Live Mail. Says Already Installed

Currently I'm in the position where I'm unable to install Live Mail. It tells me it's already installed.
    This came about because I did a Win7 repair install, before this it (Live Mail) worked fine.
    After the install it said that "x, y and z" where missing so I uninstalled through Add n Remove and that was the end of that!
    I've tried installing other Live products in the hope that when I immediately un-install them they'll remove whatever it is that's stopping the install but that didn't work!
    I found an "oldish" Blog on manually uninstalling Live products but that didn't work!
    I've trawled folders, installers, registry for any and every thing that barely resembles everything Live. Run three monitoring programs during the next (failed) install attempt but still haven't found what's blocking the install.

Does anyone have a link/ idea what I need to remove so that the Live Essentials installer stops listing Mail as already installed?

TIA Elmer

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Angry

Thanks for the link HappyAndyK,

I used all the un-install (msiexec...) run commands listed on that page. they all returned error message "only valid for installed software" except the Windows Live Mail msiexec /x {6412CECE-8172-4BE5-935B-6CECACD2CA87} command. This invited me to install my disc / show it where to find the Mail.msi executable which you don't get, so obviously ended in a failure. You can't even download the Mail.msi these days to give it a placebo to play with!

I ran the {6412CECE-8172-4BE5-935B-6CECACD2CA87} through registry search and found some entries which I deleted.

I then downloaded the crappy wlweb-setup.exe and much to my surprise (NOT!!) it tells me I already have Dead Mail installed.

I think where I'm going wrong is that I'm expecting a Windoze program to be compatible with a Windows program. Woe betide that every other piece of software can survive a repair install!

So I guess I'm going to have to find a FF compatible Add-on that will stick an icon into the notification area that covers all my various e-mail accounts.

Elmer B.
    (Not a happy chappy)
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 4th August 2010 at 10:32.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Have you tried with Wave 4 beta full Offline installer ? (size ~ 168 MB)
    Try this- http://g.live.com/1rebeta4_all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

Quote Originally Posted by vasudev View Post
    Thanks for the pointer vasudev. I'm d'loading now and will give it a try.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by vasudev View Post
    Well I gave that a go. At the start it gave me options on what to install and said it would "upgrade" Live Mail. Un-ticked all other options and ran the installer. seemed to be going well until 63% when it hiccuped twice and then presented me with an error screen coded 0x80040601 and also told me nothing had been installed***. I followed the link it gave me which only suggests everything I can't do because none of the options it gives me exists!!

***IT LIES!! Nothing installed MY BL**DY A**E!
    Does the "Default Manager" that's sitting brazenly in my programs folder (yet another one with no un-install method) count as nothing???

vasudev is offline Moderator

Hi Elmer, I think there's some problem with your uninstall of earlier ver. First that has to be cleaned fully and properly. Follow this link and then do a reinstall using Full installer again.
    How to Perform a clean removal of Windows Live Mail

Well I tried the un-installs as mentioned but I still can't install / already installed.

There's still a Windows Live reg entry with a sub-folder called SOXE which even with a change of permissions won't let me delete it.

I think I'll live as it is until I do a re-install. I've added Yahoo, GMail and Live to a cascading context menu in the reg entry Directory/Backgrounds and I'm getting used to it now!

Thanks for your help though and if I ever do find the obstinate "file" that's stopping the install then I'll be sure to post the findings here.