AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Default Not happy with WLM 2011 comparing to the WLM 2009.

As for the changes they made in WLM 2011 , comparing to the WLM 2009 (14.0.8117) I didn't like most of the changes. As I was talking with a friend and he listed these:

For instance:

• You cannot change your name within WLM and you have to do it with your Live account and that doesn't give you much flexibility you had before. For example you could add characters to your name.
    • The block contacts feature is gone.
    • The handwriting is gone, too.
    • The UI is too big.
    • The smileys are uglier.
    • There is no "webcam only" mode / webcam in one direction, only full video chat remains.
    • You can't talk to people anymore when appearing offline.
    I am really wondering why they did it that way.

My friend also told me these below, that I agree with him:

Well, regarding handwriting, it's because they didn't manage to make it work correctly inside the new UI, and felt that "no one" was using it (something like 3% of users --but there are tens, if not hundreds, millions of users out there, so it's still a high number of people, I can't see why they made this decision)
    the other features, well, i don't know why they removed.
    They wanted to simplify the thing, I guess, and make it more like facebook (big mistake!)

We loved the WLM 2009 (14.0.8117) much than this current version. I hope somebody from Microsoft listens to this.

kunu is offline Windows Enthusiast

yeah ASHO i agree with you and hope there feature may be retaken again in next version

vasudev is offline Moderator

Regarding "The UI is too big." , you can change it back to what you are used to in 2009 ver. just click the 'Switch to compact view' button on top right.
    There are lots of improvements in 2011 ver, but if one still wants the old ver, one can get the WL Messenger 2009 from Windows Live Essentials for Windows XP

kunu, thanks for your comment. I do hope Microsoft release new version soon by the end of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by vasudev View Post
    Regarding "The UI is too big." , you can change it back to what you are used to in 2009 ver. just click the 'Switch to compact view' button on top right.
    There are lots of improvements in 2011 ver, but if one still wants the old ver, one can get the WL Messenger 2009 from Windows Live Essentials for Windows XP
    I was chatting about your reply with my friend and he told this:
    Yes , I did use this to reduce the contacts ui
    but the talk window still is big, and the logon window is, too
    despite my screen having a 1080p resolution