Vanflash is offline Beginner

Question Windows Live 14.0.8 Backup

Is there a procedure for backing up this version Windows Live Mail (ver.14.0.8)? All I need is my address contacts. I do a search, and it takes me to a Windows Live mail unlike the one I'm using.
    Thanks for any help.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

I will maybe write a detailed tutorial on this tomorrow, but meanwhile in Windows LIve Mail, you can export contacts Settings> Export Email > Accounts > Select account > Click Export.

Also see if this app allows you to export contacts too: How to Backup Windows Live Mail Settings | The Windows Club

HappyAndy, I downloaded the KLS mail backup. It is really a neat program. My question is: 1. I run it, and save email info. to thumb drive, 2. Do the Reformat, 3. Install Windows Live Mail, and 4. Use the Restore in KLM? Is this the correct way, and will all the keys of the programs fit back into place. My wife's Win7 Restore is corrupt (won't work) is the reason for Reformat. She has many, many contacts she doesn't want to lose. Many thanks.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Have you tried what HappyAndyK has suggested using Export option present in Windows Live mail ? Actually I dont have WLM ver 14.0.8 while in the latest ver 15.4.3538.0513 (If possible please upgrade to latest ver) Clcik on the 'Contacts' shortcuts (from bottom left) and clcik on Exports > comma separated values whcih will be save as csv file, Select all the fields required.
    And again after setting up Windows Live mail , again from Contacts, Import and select this CSV file.
    If you are not at all able to start Windows 7 and open WLMail as you say sir your Windows 7 is corrupt. Then best way is to sign-in to Windows Live Hotmail (The web version) from Sign In (considering you have a Hotmail account/Live account )
    Then clcik on Conatcts from Bottom left (or directly sign-in to Sign In ) (Pl make sure all your contacts are being shown there before exporting)
    Clcik on 'manage' tab and Export whcih will save as .CSV file.
    Whcih again then can be imported.
    Hope this helps you sir.
    Last edited by vasudev; 12th September 2011 at 06:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanflash View Post
    My question is: 1. I run it, and save email info. to thumb drive, 2. Do the Reformat, 3. Install Windows Live Mail, and 4. Use the Restore in KLM? Is this the correct way, and will all the keys of the programs fit back into place.
    Yes it should work imo.

HappyAndy, sorry to say, but it did not work. All the data is on my thumb drive, but after I reformatted, it would not re-install anything even though it shows up in the KLM program.

... oh .... let me check out and look around for suggestions ...

vasudev is offline Moderator

Let us try some other method. Let us copy the contacts database file(contacts.edb) then import it from .edb file (Contacts database file) Its location is

C:\Users\vasu\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts\Default\15.4\DBStore here you find conatcts.edb (If you can't view this file then from tools >Folder options >view in Explorer select Show hidden files,folders and drives and uncheck Hide protected operating system files) (Replace vasu with your username) This is for the latest version of WLMail (15.4) I have installed.
    For your version of Windows Live Mail I think its
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s Live Contacts\{UID}\DBStore\

Also please note this can be at 2 places with 2 different UIDs one for offline ver and other for Online . So check under different UIDs.Also look for the latest UIDs. The most recent one will have the recent back-up.
    These were the steps to just locate.
    Download LiveContactsView
    Run it (also read the readme file)
    By default it will open up the default contacts location. To open an alternative directory, go to “Options” menu and select “Advanced Options” and locate your back up of the contacts.edb and clcik OK to show a list of contacts. Select all contacts and clcik on Floppy icon to save it and save it in .CSV format.
    Do this for other UIDs also (if necessary)
    Now this .CSV file containing Conatcts can be imported from WL Mail.
    Hope this helps.

HappyAndy, I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this for me, but nothing seems to work, even following it to the letter. I'll just forget about backups, and save my contacts. I can save my contacts by forwarding a email with all my contacts to another computer, then forward back to myself, and add contacts. Long ways around the barn, but it works. Thanks again.