Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Windows Live Writer and WordPress

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Default Windows Live Writer and WordPress

Does anyone else use Windows Live Writer to write blog posts in Wordpress (or others)? I find the Windows 7 version excellent, but at times am stuck with the XP version (which pales in comparison). If not, you should definitely look into checking it out. It saves a lot of time, is quick and easy, and allows you to post in any category and insert pics, video, etc.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Yes . I have been using Windows Live Writer for blogging. Have used it for Wordpress and Blogger Blogs. Works very well. And other advantage is you can write blogpost offline at your leisure and once complete, publish to your blogs.
    BTW which are the plugins are you using?

cheloviek is offline New Member

well i should check this out, i'm using blogger and there are not much options to edit text

anandnswam is offline New Member

It is possible to make use of Windows Live Writer with WordPress. Just go through the steps mentioned below

Settings - Writings - Remote Publishing
    Enable XML-RPC

You can use the same technique for blogger and dotnetblogengine blogs.

Regards,
    Anand Narayanaswamy
    Last edited by anandnswam; 11th April 2012 at 06:30.
    HappyAndyK and TeXaCo like this.

TeXaCo is offline Windows Enthusiast

I would be lost without Windows Live Writer. I have not tried many plugins because they don't seem to make ones that I would use. The only problem I have with WLW is the technical support is not that great. I wish Microsoft would put more development into it but I have heard rumors that Microsoft might drop it with release of Windows 8 which would be a shame. There really is no comparable program out there.

Just remember to back up these locations often in case disaster strikes
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Windows Live Writer
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Weblog Posts

There are programs out there to back it up like Windows Live Writer Backup but in my experience it is better to have the actual folders and files synced with a sync program than to rely on a backup program.

I agree. Without it, I'd be lost. It loads tons faster, has a better interface and is very easy to use and run on your local PC and then publish online with a click of a button. It'd be sad to see it go. Hopefully, it will be supported in Windows 8, even without regular updates (although, updates would be nice!).

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Following the branding change from Windows Live to Microsoft Apps, announced on the Building Windows 8 blog, concerns have been raised by bloggers who use Windows Live Writer.

There is no mention of Windows Live Writer either in the discussion of the changes or the table included in the announcement. If you are a blogger using Windows Live Writer, sign the petition and include your prefered solution number.
    Proposed Solutions

Solution number 1: Release a metro style app that behaves in the same way as live writer, including its plugin architecture.

Solution number 2: Make Live Writer open source, this way the community themselves can keep Live Writer going and keep it fresh. There are no tie-ins with Windows Live ID anymore so no security problems should exist. This solution also keeps alove the huge collection of plugins that have been written for Live Writer which is one of the huge plus points of the software
    Go to Save Windows Live Writer.

Great, Corrine. I didn't even know a petition existed! I think Windows Live Writer is a godsend for working with Wordpress (it works with others, too, but I've only used WP with it).

Thanks!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think maybe Microsoft felt that the numbers did not warrant supporting it. Sure its a great tool. Many bloggers love to use it. But how much would that translate in numbers? Any one have any ideas?

I am a blogger but I dont use WL Writer...

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I used Windows Live Writer a few times just to be familiar with it. It really wasn't necessary with the Blogger platform. Perhaps it is more useful for people who preferred to compose offline.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last