TerryDarc is offline New Member

Default Windows Live Photo Gallery does not and never has started up

I've just downloaded the latest WLPG. The very first time I clicked on its icon, nothing happened. Task mgr shows no new application starting or anything else interesting.

I read further on the web, tried a couple things like looking for supposed corrupted database. OLD_Pictures.pd6, the only file with a name anything like that in the ...Window\Window Live Photo Gallery folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 machine, 16GB RAM, couple big HD's, Dell laptop.

Default More info

Quote Originally Posted by TerryDarc View Post
    I've just downloaded the latest WLPG. The very first time I clicked on its icon, nothing happened. Task mgr shows no new application starting or anything else interesting.

I read further on the web, tried a couple things like looking for supposed corrupted database. OLD_Pictures.pd6, the only file with a name anything like that in the ...Window\Window Live Photo Gallery folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 machine, 16GB RAM, 64 bit, couple big HD's, Dell laptop.
    1. I've uninstalled and reinstalled WLPG - same deal. Click on the WLPG icon in the start menu - nothing. I'm watching the Task Manager processes and I don't see anything pop up. This program is not getting very far.

2. Not sure it matters or not but in the control panel->install/uninstall program, there is no Photo Gallery, only Windows Essentials 2012 and Windows SQL. The files are located in the ProgramFiles (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery. There's an exe there and it does no good to click on it.

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Even in control panel it will show windows essentials only. Does this thread help? http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...tml#post161486

Thanks. I'm still trying to get WLPG to start up, though. Is there a process that I could watch start or anything I can try to get an error msg/report. Other threads have talked (including Captain Jack's details) about a corrupted database but I don't see how since this is the first time it's been run.

I tried renaming the OLD_pictures.pd6 and restarting WLPG. Nothing. The little spining circle happens a couple times but I get no error msg., no new window of an ap starting up, just nothing. Sure would like to be able to see something. I've never run this ap before and I'd like to find something to replace the Adobe PSE Organizer, bug ridden as it is, for my 90k pictures.

That thread you mentioned finally resolved by the original poster by reinstalling Windows 7, etc. I would have no idea how to do that but I guess it's a shot.

vasudev is offline Moderator

I hope Windows 7 Service pack 1 is already installed and Windows 7 up to date with latest updates. If not, pl do it first. After updating Windows 7 with latest updates, we will completely remove Windows Essentials manually & reinstall. For this pl follow the steps -

For 32-bit ver of Windows 7, In the Start button search box, type or copy&paste this %programfiles%\Windows Live\Installer and press Enter.

For 64-bit ver of Windows 7, In the Start button search box type or copy and paste %programfiles(x86)%\Windows Live\Installer and then press Enter.

ANd there you'll find a file wlarp.exe . Double click and select Remove one or more Windows Live programs

Select all and uninstall.

Now restart PC and we will install Windows Essentials from offline installer. For this download it from How do I install Windows Essentials while offline? - Install offline
    or direct link http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

Now try it & see if its working for you. But make sure you install Windows 7 with latest updates first and also your AV like update Security Essentials with latest virus definitions or update whichever AV you are running.
    Last edited by vasudev; 19th August 2013 at 12:21.

Thanks, vasudev
    1. Service Pack 1 was already installed when I reported this problem.
    2. I installed Service Pack 2 for good measure.
    3. Uninstalled WLPG - that was the only component.
    4. Installed from the direct link you supplied just WLPG.
    5. Turned completely off my AV software, MAB.
    6. Clicked on the Start menu icon for WLPG.

Nothing. There are a couple processes that start up: WLstartup.exe *32 and WLPphotogallery.exe *32
    They last about 10 seconds and then disappear. No error message, no popup, no window, nothing.

Hi TerryDarc, Is the problem with only Photo Gallery? Tried running other .exe? Does it open correctly? And after running Photo gallery, if you open Task Manager, is it listed there?
    Please also check Windows Movie Maker , I think that also gets installed with Photo Gallery. Does Movie Maker opens?
    Also try the Repair Option , obtained when you run wlarp.exe as shown in prev reply.
    Please try these & see if it helps.....

Default Problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by vasudev View Post
    Hi TerryDarc, Is the problem with only Photo Gallery? Tried running other .exe? Does it open correctly? And after running Photo gallery, if you open Task Manager, is it listed there?
    Please also check Windows Movie Maker , I think that also gets installed with Photo Gallery. Does Movie Maker opens?
    Also try the Repair Option , obtained when you run wlarp.exe as shown in prev reply.
    Please try these & see if it helps.....
    Thanks, vasudev
    The problem was fixed by a) Creating a new user account and logging into that, b) then starting in Safe Mode. WLPG came up immediately and is working well in the other user account. It still does not work in the original account. Same click followed by no response.

Thanks again!

That's fine TerryDarc. Could you run in Safemode in your earlier account?
    ANd can run in Safemode in new account.So it might be case of corrupted user profile or a virus problem. Please make sure to run your AV , Scan in safe mode to remove any virus etc . Before running, update to latest virus definition updates.