Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you want to see in Windows 8?

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Windows 8 Aero Light UI Revealed

Leaked Screenshot Shows Windows 8 System Reset Controls
    The screenshot is from a Milestone 2 build of the Windows 8 operating system. Still, it is another indicator that Microsoft indeed plans to ship the Windows8 operating system with a System Reset feature

11 Features to Watch for in Windows 8 (Part 2)
    Bonus: A Radical New Interface and/or Name?

It seems unlikely that something as radically different as this would actually become a part of Windows as soon as the next release. On the other hand, Steve Ballmer said last year that the next version of Windows will be Microsoft's "riskiest product bet," and Business Insider reported a rumor that the Windows 8 tablet interface will be based on the Windows Phone 7 interface.

If it does go with the new bubble interface above, or the WP7 "panels" interface, is it possible that Microsoft might even change the OS name? Tech Republic's Brien Posey writes "I think that in an effort to lose its dated image, Microsoft may rebrand Windows as something completely different. It might even lose the name Windows."
    So its great news for Windows fans. As the quote above says :
    It seems unlikely that something as radically different as this would actually become a part of Windows as soon as the next release.

Windows 8 Secrets:
    As for the development timeline, I already spelled out the important milestones last year, and nothing has changed: Private beta by PDC (Fall 2011), public beta by end of year, RC in first half of 2012, and final release by mid-2012.
    Foley does note that Microsoft is currently working on the so-called M3 ("milestone 3") pre-release versions, and that it will be completed by this summer. Yet many bloggers are excitedly claiming that M3 is happening soon, even this week. That's not what I've heard.
    More Pictures Of Windows 8 Features Leaked To The Internet

From link there, I found this image:

Dialog box you can see two major changes:
    First, the title bar fonts larger, maximize, minimize, close button larger;
    Second, the title bar title bar moved to the middle of the text (before the left.)

This is a beta version of Windows Vista/7/8 window buttons comparison chart:

I like to see lager buttons ( and also the symbols in them.) considering that they don't take extra space. So its nice to see the icons bold. It would be also nice to have option to select between large and small.

Windows 8 M3 Build 7971 Installation Screenshots
    "These leaked screenshots clearly reveal the new Metro UI adopted in the installation steps."
    Last edited by AHS0; 31st March 2011 at 17:26.

Websites covering Windows 8 leaks, face major crackdown
    I was talking with my friend about it and we said that if these are not fake then it's better to leave them online so people can see and comment on them, so MS can know what people think.

Windows 8 Secrets: Welcome Screen
    This new Welcome screen is only partially configurable, from what we can tell so far: You can only change the background image. The display includes the time, day of week, the date (month and day)
    Wow, that's great. I have been avoiding to install third party app to do this job for me, and finally in Windows 8, I am able to put what picture I want in the logon screen, and also see the time date. I hope that in the final version there are the user names/icons directly, like it is now, rather than this CTRL ALT DEL message, but otherwise, it can be nice too.

Leaked: Windows 8's logon screen
    The screenshot clearly shows a Metro-inspired logon screen. For those not in the loop, Metro refers to the design style used on Zune and Windows Phone.
    Perfect.

Windows 8 Secrets: Windows Explorer Ribbon

But the Ribbon UI was also innovative, and useful, and it provided a way to make previously hidden functionality far more discoverable. It was so successful, in fact, that Microsoft began adding it to other products, including the Windows Live Essentials apps and, in Windows 7, both Paint and WordPad.In Windows 8, Ribbon usage is accelerating again, and Microsoft’s next major OS will include this UI in the most visible of all possible places, Windows Explorer. In early builds of Windows 8, this Ribbon UI is only half-finished and, frankly, of dubious value.
    If Microsoft goes through with this change, the Ribbon will replace the menu and toolbar in today’s Explorer windows, and as in Office, it will make many more features visibly discoverable, albeit at the expense of onscreen real estate and, we think, attractiveness.
    Go go Microsoft with Ribbon.
    Last edited by AHS0; 3rd April 2011 at 20:33.

Windows 8 beta background
    Download it from this link:
    Windows 8 Previews Going Out to Connect Partners

Its much easier for eyes now, since its less bright and I already replaced it with current Windows 7's default Harmony background.

Windows 8 Secrets: Internet Explorer Immersive

My friend and I talked about this:
    it really looks like windows phone
    I don't see why they want to make a PC UI look like a phone UI ?!
    it's not the same input controls, not the same use
    i prefer IE as it is now than this 'immersive' version (that doesn't even seem to have tabs)
    (from the screenshot)

Windows 8 Taskbar User Picture Tile

Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 8 OS comes with an updated taskbar that features a small user picture tile in the notification area of the taskbar. The user picture tile displays which user is currently logged in, and gives quick access to the user account settings right from the taskbar.
    My friend's feedback:

i don"t really see the point, I mean, it doesn't offer a real gain :
    start menu -> control panel
    user icon -> my settings
    it's the same, also I set the start menu's control panel link to be a context menu, so I can access control panels directly, which I can't do with that.
    Also, I don't feel like I particularly need to see my own user picture all the time, but that's me.
    Last edited by AHS0; 6th April 2011 at 20:17.

Windows 8: opening a new window
    One of the other things expected to change on Windows 8 is the interface. Windows 7 is efficient, comfortable and stable. Fun? Not really. Pictures leaked online show a new control menu incorporated in the files explorer. The menu has a Ribbon design, reminiscent of the 2010 office menus. Instead of a menu opening a sub menu and other sub menus, each category on the menu changes the entire menu.
    The expected improvements for Windows 8 are backed by a new conception of Microsoft. According to the company, we are quite predictable, because we have a tendency to group certain actions into a predetermined list of assignments. For example, a lot of people press refresh after the same actions, like saving a file they’ve been working on in regular intervals and more. Microsoft succeeded in mapping some of these assignments so that Windows 8 can guess and save time.
    I was talking with a friend and he tells me:
    I think that a computer that tries to guess will inevitably fail and cause problems
    so I hope the "guessing" feature can be turned off.

More Pictures Of Windows 8 Features Leaked To The Internet

From link there, I found this image:

Dialog box you can see two major changes:
    First, the title bar fonts larger, maximize, minimize, close button larger;
    Second, the title bar title bar moved to the middle of the text (before the left.)
    This is a beta version of Windows Vista/7/8 window buttons comparison chart:

I figured out how to make caption buttons larger in Windows 7:
    Personalize>Color>Advanced appearance setting>caption button.

I increased the size to 28. I like it more. but i think in Windows 8, we can see these buttons more nice and better bold.
    Last edited by AHS0; 14th April 2011 at 18:38.

Windows 8 Secrets: News from Around the Web

Leaked: Windows 8 build 7850 - TechSpot
    As such, if you grab this build, you won't see many of the leaked and rumored features we've seen so far. That means no native SmartScreen file checking, no built-in PDF reader, no Office ribbon in Windows Explorer, no new logon screen, no system reset feature, and no other features we've discussed but don't have screenshots for yet. In other words, it will look very close to Windows 7.
    Leaked: Windows 8 build 7955 video - TechSpot

It mostly demonstrated Windows 8 Taskbar User Picture Tile which earlier I posted this about it:

i don"t really see the point, I mean, it doesn't offer a real gain :
    start menu -> control panel
    user icon -> my settings
    it's the same, also I set the start menu's control panel link to be a context menu, so I can access control panels directly, which I can't do with that.
    Also, I don't feel like I particularly need to see my own user picture all the time, but that's me.
    Last edited by AHS0; 14th April 2011 at 19:04.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast