Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: ReactOS, a free Windows clone from Russia

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default ReactOS, a free Windows clone from Russia

ReactOS is a free operating system based on the design of Windows XP. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows-NT architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level.

This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the Unix architecture.

Frontpage - ReactOS Website
    Capt.Jack likes this.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hmmm, interesting....
    i remember using PTS-DOS, a russian version of MS-DOS which was very nice.
    stable and reliable, even certified by the russian defence ministry !
    it was also a little bit faster (~3,5 % if i remember correctly) than MS-DOS so it was very good to have when playing games...

it´s still available for FREE (i just checked !) if anyone wants to test it...
    the FREE version works "normally", but there is a 60 second delay during start-up (booting).

PhysTechSoft. System software, encryption software and much more

Last edited by hackerman1; 13th September 2011 at 20:32.

i found something interesting when i checked the website of ReactOS !

2011-09-12, Aleksey Bragin:
    "ReactOS Demonstrated to the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev"

News #67 - ReactOS Website

read the whole page !
    it´s a fascinating story about a 17-year old student showing the new O/S to the president.

SKK
    SKK is offline Windows Enthusiast

looks great.i will chk this

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default ReactOS 0.3.14 free download

ReactOS 0.3.14 released

One of the more significant sets of improvements was to ReactOS’ networking stack. As part of the GSoC, ReactOS gained a new TCP/IP driver built around the LwIP project. The LwIP library is a popular and stable implementation of TCP/IP originally intended for embedded use. The new driver has significantly increased both stability and performance, allowing the use of high bandwidth applications such as torrents. Furthermore, ReactOS has improved compatibility with NT5.1 drivers with the export of scatter/gather DMA functionality. Last but not least, ReactOS now includes wireless network support and is able to connect to both open and WEP encrypted networks.

One of the more obvious user visible changes includes the implementation of theme support. Users can now change the look and feel of ReactOS’ user interface by installing XP based themes and changing the appearance of the desktop from the default classic look to something more exciting.

Architecturally, the addition of a kernel mode testing framework has helped to identify a variety of bugs in kernel mode components. This is an important change with regards to core stability and is proving invaluable in ensuring the project does not suffer unexpected regressions in the kernel.
    SourceForge.net: ReactOS: News

uther4 is offline New Member

Default So what good is it

[QUOTE=HappyAndyK;162309]ReactOS is a free operating system based on the design of Windows XP. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows-NT architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level.

It does not support usb everyone has usb and wireless mice , keyboards , drives it dont support any of them it even wont let you download the vmware version nothing works on the download page , which is from thier home page not yours but if nothing works with usb support like I said why is it even being talked about it ****s.

well, the version is 0.3.14...

it means that it´s a prerelease / alpha-version.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

It is definitely a work in progress. It's amazing what has been done so far - from scratch. Pretty great work!