Mark_L is offline New Member

Default CalendarMark, a Windows deksktop gadget, released

WebMark released a nice Windows desktop gadget yesterday. On the website (calendarmark.com) they describe it as follows:

"CalendarMark is a complete and useful Windows desktop gadget, enabling full Google Calandar access, keeping your agenda up-to-date with ease."

They are releasing it with an introduction price of only $2.95, or you can get it for free if you post a tweet about it.

I really like this gadget, and think it has great potential. Try it out and let me know what you think .
    Last edited by Mark_L; 1st February 2012 at 19:20.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to see people are still developing Windows Gadgets. However, with the new Live Tiles in Windows 8, I'm not sure of the longevity of gadgets.

Any input to that?

However, with the new Live Tiles in Windows 8, I'm not sure of the longevity of gadgets.
    Is the end of Windows gadgets near? Yes and no. Let me explain.

On one hand we have the fact that the Windows Vista / 7 gadgets are not supported in Windows 8. Because of this the lifetime of gadgets will be limited.

But on the other hand we should put this into perspective. There are three reasons why there still is a future for the gadgets:

1. Windows Vista en Windows 7 will be used for years to come. Just look at how many people are still using Windows XP.
    2. Gadgets are written with Javascript, HTML and CSS. Only a small part of a gadgets logic is specific to the Windows gadgets environment. Gadgets can without too much efford be transformed into a Windows 8 app.
    3. Some people also say that there is a trend that Microsoft messes up every other version of Windows. I believe this is based on: Windows ME (messed up), Windows XP (success), Windows Vista (messed up), Windows 7 (success).
      I don't know if that 'trend' is more than just a coincidence. What I do know is that Windows 8 is a huge leap from Windows 7. I think its success will strongly depend on whether:
      1) they 'get it right' right away (not another Vista-like fiasco)
      2) users will turn out to like the new concept (of tiles etc).

I don't agree with the trend that has been suggested. Instead of ME, you could replace it with Win2K, which was a success.

I just repeated what I heard. Personally I only know that Vista was a big failure (especially during the first year).
    Anyway, my point was that Windows 8 might become a failure (because of the radical changes). On the other hand it could become a huge success.

Yes, Windows 8 is going to be a huge gamble, but it should be a great OS that brings together the portable and desktop device UI. It's going to be very seamless.... Good or bad, I don't know.