DustinH is offline Senior Member

Default Windows 8 Release Preview Out Now - Feedback

Grab it Here: Windows 8 Release Preview

Get started and download now! Iím getting some great DL speeds right now. Iíll let you know my thoughts later this evening. Enjoy!

finally! I'm a bit excited. Of course, a slow internet day, too....

TeXaCo is offline Windows Enthusiast

I will have to wait until monday or tuesday when I am off.

It's a bit more polished than the CP. A few noticeable UI changes (Aero has gone flat - still has opaque borders, though). FAST boot.

A lot of complaints (still) about Metro UI. Media center is available, too (free for now). http://pureinfotech.com/2012/06/01/h...lease-preview/

vasudev is offline Moderator

Yes, installed. Now installing various apps from Store.....

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

I think I'll be sticking with Windows 7.
    Reason why is I think Microsoft will be shooting themselves in the foot by blocking access to alot of 3rd party software, namely the ones that add the start button back to Windows 8, which is probably only the start of it, there will probably be alot more blocked programs by the time the full release comes out.

Boot time? I could really care less, my current system boots within 10 to 15 seconds which i just fine for me, I don't need a system that boots almost instantly.

I also do not like that Microsoft has foregone the aero design and has chosen to go with the "basic" design of the UI, it makes me feel as though as I am purchasing a downgrade in OS's. And as I have stated multiple times before ..... the metro UI is just putrid and is really just not needed. The metro UI is just a marketing scheme from Microsoft and other software companies Microsoft is in bed with to get you to spend more money, ie; the Microsoft Store, and all the other little "apps" you will be able to download for a price to complete the metro UI, like they don't have enough of your hard earned cash already.

IMO, If I am going to shell out the asking price for Windows 8, I should be able to install whatever software I wish on the OS, I don't need Microsoft telling me what I can and cannot install.......even if it modifies the system. I should also have a choice to enable or disable or even to uninstall the metro UI alltogether if I choose to. Once I lay my money on the counter and purchase the OS, it becomes mine, and short of doing anything illegal after purchasing the OS like copying it or redistributing it I should be able to install it on my own computer and make any modifications I see fit to suit my own personal needs, so if I want a start button, thats my choice and I should be able to have it. Who is Microsoft to tell me that I can't have a start button?
    Oh, by the way, we did away with the start button because we don't want you to have one and oh ..... we will also be blocking third party software companies from creating code to create a start button too! we will also be blocking any third party software company that we don't want on our new OS too!.
    Ok big daddy Bill, instead of having a window as your logo, maybe you should consider a swastika.

Good luck to all those who choose to flush their hard earned money down the toilet on what I see as being one of Microsoft's biggest flops.
    Last edited by edee; 3rd June 2012 at 04:37.

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    Ok big daddy Bill, instead of having a window as your logo, maybe you should consider a swastika.
    You mean Steve, right? Bill left and is only part of the board now.

While I can understand the lack of start button (Yea, I miss it and would like it to remain - at least in Desktop view), removing the ability for third party apps to add the functionality is stupid and a shitty move by the Windows 8 team. I'm getting used to not having it, but to me the Start Menu is a very efficient way to organize programs, settings and documents (or links to) within a small part of the screen. It's become part of Windows - Anyone using Windows knows the Start Button and how to use it. Most people that know what a computer is can recognize the Start menu from a picture of it. The Start Menu IS Windows for some. The programs can be on any OS. The Start menu is what they know and recognize. When Vista went to the orb, a big complaint was "Where did the Start menu go?". Now, it's gone. Kaput. ZAPPO!

I am giving Windows 8 a chance, and I really like it. However, my biggest complaint is the lack of Start menu. Metro UI has even grown on me. I can use it, it's just not as efficient as the old Start Menu (which has been called inefficient many many times in the past - but compared to the alternative... Hmmm....). When it was first released in Windows 95, people hated it. They learned it and got used to it and now we have strong feelings for it. I'm not sure if the replacement Start Screen will fare as well with it's evolution. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as a good move. Even worse is the third party programs that will be blocked from adding the functionality of a Start menu.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I installed the RP in Virtual Box and in a partition. In both installations I get a lot of freezes and the system in vBox is a lot slower than the CP. I hope they will send updates soon to fix those problems.

Btw: If you install into a partition designated for the RP, do not use the setup.exe in the root of the .iso but you have to use the install.exe in the 'Sources' folder which looks like in the attached picture. Only then you can direct the installation to your designated partition - else it will wipe out your current system (Win7 or Vista). I post that picture because there are about half a dozen .exes in the Sources folder and off hand it is not quite clear which one is the right one.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6...1206022358.png

In any case I would suggest to make an image of your current system in case something happens. Then at least you can recover your current installation.
    Last edited by whs; 3rd June 2012 at 14:03.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I hope to install it this weekend ....

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Anand, will be interesting to hear what you think about the RP. I have mixed feelings. And there is definitely a graphics driver problem - at least for my ATI HD 2400 PRO. ATI put out a Win8 driver package, but it does not cover my GPU.

TeXaCo is offline Windows Enthusiast

Well, I have been testing since last week and there are a few bugs to be worked out, no doubt. I have some dll errors that I can't find anything on at the moment but other than that, I am actually starting to get used to it. I run on the desktop most of the time anyway, so I am not bothered by the metro interface as much as I thought.

If you look at my desktop now compared to windows 7, you wouldn't even notice except for there being no start menu button (even my desktop gadgets work). my thinking has been turned around to view metro just as a big start menu with big icons. I was afraid that it was going to change the desktop experience but I actually like switching back and forth.

The only program I had that does not work with windows 8 was Acronis 2012 which was a disappointment. No idea why it would not be compatible because 8 is supposed to be so similar to 7 under the hood.

Oh, well, I guess I will have to try macrium.

Any thoughts on 8?