Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Microsoft in legal wrangle over Metro name

Microsoft has to drop the 'Metro' name because of the threat of legal action. BBC News - Microsoft drops Metro name for Windows 8

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Oh - so that was the reason! Well it makes sense - Microsoft wouldn't want yet another legal suit on its hands They already have a bag full!

And after all, whats in a name!?

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Exclamation Microsoft Drops 'Metro' Name For Windows 8 UI

"The BBC is reporting that Microsoft is dropping the 'Metro' name for the new Windows 8 UI. Apparently, the catchy new name they've settled on is 'Windows 8 style UI!' This has happened due to a (potential) trademark dispute with Metro AG, a German retail giant. Microsoft said, 'We have used Metro style as a code name during the product development cycle across many of our product lines. As we get closer to launch and transition from industry dialogue to a broad consumer dialogue we will use our commercial names.' I'm wondering if Microsoft planned this to get publicity for their new OS and UI or whether they just forget to check on how 'Metro' is used around the world."

What you have to say on this play by Microsoft of changing names and rebranding its services again n again?

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Microsoft are so quick to pick up on illegal use of their trademarks/patents that I would have though that Microsoft Legal would have been one step ahead. They must have fallen asleep when Metro was first thrown into the naming pot:-)

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Metro is a fairly common word (short for metropolitan). As long as it isn't in the same industry and can possibly confuse consumers, I don't think it would violate trademark laws. I'm not a lawyer, but I thought that was the case with trademarks. They only apply within the industry.

Case in point: Apple Computer vs. Apple Music. There was a lawsuit there to start, but Apple won but couldn't go into the music industry. After iTunes and iPod, they had to settle with Apple Music...

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I'm not so certain that the message is getting through. "Metro-style" was used about 20 times in this MSDN blog post, dated yesterday. Reminder: Free One-Day Windows 8 Developer Event: DevCamp Public Sector Series, Tampa Florida, August 8, 2012 - Public Sector Developer Weblog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs.
    Last edited by Corrine; 4th August 2012 at 17:37. Reason: fix typo

Sax
    Sax is offline Windows Enthusiast

Yes, it has! Any idea what it will be renamed as??

Sax
    Sax is offline Windows Enthusiast

oh! I forgot to read. Windows 8 style UI it is..

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

LOL, that is funny Corrine! I guess it will take some time getting used to...

Sax: yes - that is what they plan to refer it as now - Windows 8 style UI ... for the time being at least. Not that they need any name for it imo!

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Default Why did Microsoft really kill the name 'Metro'?

The term "Metro" is officially verboten as the name for Microsoft's Windows 8 interface. The question is: why?

The folks in Redmond recently revealed that the term is off limits, at first claiming it was just a code name but then apparently fessing up that the dumping of Metro was due to legal reasons.

More...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last