Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Default Google Search via Mobile SMS Texting

While cleaning my contacts list on phone, I came across a number stored as Google Search. How could I forget this? I was using this way back to get definitions and meanings of things I wanted. All I had to do is to enter keywords and send them as a text to Google. The search giant would scan its database and send me one or more texts that would basically define or explain the keywords I send.

For example, I typed "what is microsoft" and send it to Google. It will check out websites like dictionary dot com, wikipedia dot org and certain other sites that deal with definitions and send you the closest result it thinks would help me. Unlike the mobile search or the web search, it will not return a list of links to allow me and choose the one I wanted. It chooses the one it thinks is helpful. Most of the times, it is indeed helpful. The results are satisfactory if you are looking for meanings and definitions of any word or phrase.

Saves time. You do not have to fire up your computer or browser. You need not connect to mobile internet. Simply type the keyword and send it to the predesignated phone number. For Asia-Pacific, it is 9773300000. I do not know for sure if the same number works for other areas of the planet. Standard messaging rates apply for the outgoing text that you send. No charges for the text message that is sent by Google explaining the keywords.

Nice, isn't it? Give it a try and let me know if it works for you too.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The original announcement here: http://googleindia.blogspot.in/2008/...-33-00000.html

Folks from all regions can get details here: Google SMS applications

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Thanks for the link. But a little disappointment: blogger is not yet available as SMS service in India Hope they will bring it in soon...